No Improvement

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

No Improvement

Post by Mike »

We are mid-way through the season now and looking at the league tables from this year and the same point last season, there is no improvement in our results whilst many other teams have become more competitive pushing us out of the 6.

Surely this situation is unacceptable for a team allegdely building for the future?

2007 table
Leeds 20
St Helens 18
Bradford 18
Wigan 14
Huddersfield 12
Harlequins RL 12
Warrington 12
Hull 11
Wakefield 11
Catalans 11
Hull Kingston Rovers 10
Salford 7
http://www.wigan-warriors.com/wigan/?s=DLTABLE&o=469348

2008 table
Leeds 22
Catalans 17
St Helens 16
Bradford 14
Warrington 14
Wakefield 14
Wigan 14
Hull Kingston Rovers 13
Harlequins RL 12
Hull 9
Huddersfield 7
Castleford 4
http://www.wigan-warriors.com/wigan/?s=DLTABLE&o=325705
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
DaveO

Re: No Improvement

Post by DaveO »

Well there you go. For once we get a good start to the season and within the space of three games we throw it all away.

In fact its worse than last year in a way because this year were are a further two points behind the leaders then we were at this stage in 2007.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Do not forget Mike we achieved our 2008 wins despite not playing well and the ends justified the means because we were 2nd or 3rd so some said.

Personally, I think where we are now is correct in that by the end of the season we will be competing for places 5 to 7. For me, a top 4 place, a challenge cup semi minimum and playing well would be acceptable.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Its not all that bad if you look at it. I know we arn't playing well but were only 3 points from 2nd. Something does need to be done in the next couple of weeks if we want to win anything
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Bear wrote:Its not all that bad if you look at it. I know we arn't playing well but were only 3 points from 2nd. Something does need to be done in the next couple of weeks if we want to win anything
We have not made the top 2 in the last few years because we didn't start the seasons well enough.

When this happened people excused it by saying we were slow starters but ultimately the slow start meant we left ourselves too much to do in terms of trying to win the GF from outside the top 2.

We have now ended up in the same boat once again by throwing away our first good start in years.

Getting a high league position which is what you need to win the GF is all about consistency not late charges to make up for ground lost earlier in the season.

So this is why I am fed up to see these particular stats because it is in effect the same old story.

Mind you why I am bothered I don't know as this team hasn't a hope in hell of challenging for the GF.

Dave
Bear

Post by Bear »

All this started when Farrell Left and basil came in. That was it. Disapointment since then. Newton then went. WERES THE LEADER????! SOME ONE PLEASE GIVE THEM A KICK UP THE BACKSIDE!
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

There is no improvement on the league position from last season but it is an improvement from a few years ago when Wigan were bottom of the league.

Everyone wants the club to be successful but it is going to take along time before Wigan will be the best club in the league again.

Wigan were left behind by a lot of the Super League clubs a few years ago, Wigan were still trying to buy success while other clubs were building-up good squads. Wigan have caught up with the other clubs but still need to time to build the squads like Saints and Leeds have done and selling the whole team every year will not help.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Problem is we always say "Oh were building for the future" Every year young talent has been shifted on and made better. Look at the team we could have had now. Just think about that. in the words of jim royal Building for the future my @**e.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I may be wrong and Mike will have the stats but I think up until say 2003/2004 we were a top 4 club year in year out and contested several GFs (lost nearly every one too).

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Just look at brown and robinsons partnership at huddersfield. Id say they are performing better then trent and lu lu and contributing more to the team. We wouldnt be in this situation if we had let them go.

Maybe we wouldnt need a fullback if we hadnt sold chris ashton or chris melling.

Many people have slated lockers at loose, maybe if we would have kept wild, we might have had him at 13 and playing better.

The fact we always say we are building is the reason we dont achieve. We would be performing well if we would have kept our youngsters.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."