Salary cap rules

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pacman

Salary cap rules

Post by pacman »

In the wake of Leeds signing of Ali Lauiti'iti, raising the question of the salary cap and overseas quotas yet again, does anyone know the penalties that a team would incur if they are found in breach of these rules. Last year teams where deducted points and fined for breaking the rules, but do the punishments stretch beyond that?

For instance, in Leeds' case a one or two point deduction at this stage of the season would not serve as much of a punishment if they can sign top quality players on whatever wages they like, to ensure success this season. Indeed if that was the only punishment that they would receive then surely the gamble is worth it if they go on to win the Super League title. This is all hypothetical of course as, I assume Leeds have not broken any rules, but the point I am making is, does the punishment befit the crime, if this was to happen?
Warriors_ace_17

Re: Salary cap rules

Post by Warriors_ace_17 »

Just pile the team full of the best players possible, go way other the salary cap, and take a two points deduction, we would still finsih 1st or 2nd.

Absolutly disgraceful, if you go other the salary cap you should be punished severely. I am talking like about 10 to 20 points deducted.
2004 YEAR OF THE WARRIORS (hopefully)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Warriors_ace_17 posted:
Just pile the team full of the best players possible, go way other the salary cap, and take a two points deduction, we would still finsih 1st or 2nd.

Absolutly disgraceful, if you go other the salary cap you should be punished severely. I am talking like about 10 to 20 points deducted.
Weren't Halifax deducted 8 points or something similar last year? Not that it mattered, since they were so far off the pace, but it's a bit more than 2 points. The circumstances of the breach would be taken into consideration, for example if we were over the limit because of existing contracts and we weren't allowed to have any special dispensation as happened a couple of years ago, then the penalty would be reduced. Someone doing as you say and filling the team with the Australian Test team would be hit very hard as that would be considered not taking the rules seriously.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I thought Halifax were only deducted 2 points. I know they only won one match last season and taking those two points away left them on 0, but I didn't realise it was 8 points! They must have gone miles over the cap.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

MrsLam posted:
I thought Halifax were only deducted 2 points. I know they only won one match last season and taking those two points away left them on 0, but I didn't realise it was 8 points! They must have gone miles over the cap.
You're right, I just checked on an old story http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 946556.stm and it was 2 points across the board. But it does say that in 2001 Wakefield's punishment should have been 4 points. And remember that in the NRL the Bulldogs were penalised 37 points in 2002! There are systems in place for variable points fines, obviously 37 points is an extreme example but it's been done before.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]