Contract Chaos

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Contract Chaos

Post by cpwigan »

Latest in the Observer;
Harrison Hansen is set to be rewarded for his strong performances with a contract extension. Hansen is already under contract for 2009.
Thomas Leuluai has been removed from the overseas quote. He was playing Sl before he turned 21 so he has now been categories as a home grown federation player
Freeing up an overseas quota place will allow Wigan to swoop for Todd Carney
Cameron Phelps. New deal negotiated. Formalities to be copmpleted before formal announcement
Richard Mathers to be retained for 2009
cpwigan

Re: Contract Chaos

Post by cpwigan »

:eusa17:

Extended contracts for virtually the whole first team XVII bar the unfortunate 3. WHY? Surely this just ties our salary cap down when I thought the idea was to create flexibility and bring in less overseas BUT world class imports.

Anyone think Sam Tomkins will play 10 times for Wigan RLFC next season? Pigs do not fly either.

Why bother with Carney. If we wait a week we can flip a coin and take Carney or Bird. World Class Training Facility or a Rehabilitation Centre For Australians.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I was under the impression Hansen had a longer deal than that already? I thought he was one of the players who deferred wages in return for an extension to his contract???

As to TL coming off quota that is the RFL's doing but its disturbing we are a) going for yet another overseas player and b) another half back when we basically need a new pack! It suggests to me "problem players" like Carney and Smith who come for peanuts are all we can afford and its pointless even bidding for a new prop. We basically need all our imports to get fired for some misdemeanour's it seems before their wages drop low enough for us to sigjhn them! Even so, why another half back?

Mathers - well I have saying all season I expected he'd get a new deal. I can't understand why anyone couldn't see this by which I mean regardless of how he has played he is simply obviously part of Nobles preferred squad.

Phelps is another Nobby player but if Pryce gets fit where will he play? Phelps is OK but says himself he doesn't like the wing and he's small for a centre.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote: :eusa17:

Extended contracts for virtually the whole first team XVII bar the unfortunate 3. WHY?

Why indeed. Unless IL and Noble think the blame for our dross performance lies at the feet of three players and Barrett and are assuming the addition of Riddell will solve everything.

We have retained the majority of a team (and the coach) who have taken us backwards from 2007.

You can only hope contract extensions for players like Hansen are lower in wages to free up cash compared to what they were on before.

Dave
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

It is important we keep stability in what we do. So we are to keep the same team in general, this will keep the stability I have mentioned…..

This will enable us to be as rubbish next year as we are this..

Very important to keep stability isn’t it…We don’t want to upset the apple cart do we and start winning something..

Fielden for GB, in fact he should be captain because he would walk straight into the Oz national team any day of the week!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I may be wrong Dave but I think the deferred players, had the same contracts in terms of duration but probably added an extra 0 or something silly.

If/when a new coach takes over from clueless he is going to inherit a real mess.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

I know, sack the coach, sack everyone apart from Higham and lets recruit the starting 12 all over again.
Do you not think that all the chopping and changing with the squads over the past few seasons has disrupted us enough.
Moan when we sign players on extended contracts, moan when we don't sign players on for long enough.
Come on then, whats the answer? :conf:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Great vision, we have just given a new contract to the WORST fullback in SL. Whats next bring back Vialeckie
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

CP if we signe Tod Carney , that means no props from overseas?
Lil Feka's Dad

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

FROM A TO B wrote:I know, sack the coach, sack everyone apart from Higham and lets recruit the starting 12 all over again.
Do you not think that all the chopping and changing with the squads over the past few seasons has disrupted us enough.
Moan when we sign players on extended contracts, moan when we don't sign players on for long enough.
Come on then, whats the answer? :conf:
Isn't it obvious?

Put Wayne's World in charge! She knows what she's doing.