A simple question.. Was Edwards a great?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

It is more complicated to answer and not as simple.

Here is what I have wrote in another thread:

IMO Edwards was never a full back and as far as a great 6, he was not one of those either. His game relied on other people making a break and him backing up, as a 6 you are expected to make the odd break by beating someone, Edwards never did this, yes he ran through gaps after being put through but he could never beat anyone or break a tackle. He was not brilliant at putting anyone through a gap either. Taking everything into account he would be playing for someone like Leigh if he was around now...

The team made Edwards.. Edwards did not make the team, something a 6 and 7 should be able to do!

This was a reply from cpwigan:

cpwigan" wrote:
I would have to disagree WW. As a running stand-off he was amazing in the 86/7 Season IIRC. There is a game v Hull in the JPS Semi whereby he basically rescued the team from certain defeat with long range runs. Micron often used one of those breaks as the intro to their DVDs. One Wembley final v Halifax? shows a solo run too. He was also great at chip chases, kick throughs, Salford - RLCC Semi Final, Mud?

To be honest I think like many he played at less than 100% thereafter.

I do think he was a better 7 than a 6 but is it not credit to him that he could play both positions.

I always remember Wally Lewis saying, RL is a simple game of numbers, if the opposition have 4 defenders on the blind and you have 5 attackers, you go blind and so on and so on.

Edwards passing skill, reading the game needs no discussion. Likewise his kicking game.

For me Edwards was the most intelligent RL player I have ever watched and one of the most determined.

lucky 13

Re: A simple question.. Was Edwards a great?

Post by lucky 13 »

Wigan Watcher wrote:A simple question.. Was Edwards a great?

It is more complicated to answer and not as simple.
Think I sort of know what you mean, he was not the fastest nor most talented athlete and overall not the greatest rugby player.
The answer is still yes , to sum it up he was a coach on the front line he understood the game inside and out, we stood the losses of other players much better than we did the loss of Edwards!!
His medals tell part of the story and the fact that in our most successful period with all the great talent he always held a pivotal role which gave the other great players around him space and time to shine .
Not just a great player ... more than .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Re: A simple question.. Was Ed...

Post by cpwigan »

Yes

Re Making a team. Success continued as others left and Edwards remained. Edwards left and things started to go wrong. 1994/5 was our most successful season and Edwards was the key player.

It is too easy to find fault. As an example. Was Andy Gregory a mediocre player because he could not pass the ball in both directions? I think not but people scoff when somebody turns their back onplay to pass in one direction.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I would say Gregory was a great.

Edwards was famous for going down under and struggled to make the bench, he hardly got a game. I believe he was found out down under.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

When Edwards went to Balmain he was hampered by an injury. Before, he had started to play for the team. Moreover, Balmain were coached by the idiosyncratic Warren Ryan who was a believer in process rather than inspiration. Many greats were treated similarly to Edwards under Ryan.

For GB, for Wigan, Edwards proved himself v numerous Australian teams.

Re Edwards and speed. He was very fast when he began. Injuries slowed him down a tad especially an horrific knee injury v PNG.

If you had to select a Wigan all time XIII Edwards would be favoured over Gregory. Both were great players. Edwards longevity and bravery set him apart from most.

Give me a player with a RL brain and I will show you a champion team. I wish we had Edwards now.

Best endorsement of Edwards. Peter Fox never had a good word to say about any player not born in Yorkshire, apart from Shaun Edwards.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Wigan Watcher wrote:I would say Gregory was a great.

Edwards was famous for going down under and struggled to make the bench, he hardly got a game. I believe he was found out down under.
You could say that about a lot of OZ lads who have come here with big reputations , the season Edwards went think Balmain made the final after being the league leaders , Andy Currier was at centre they thought he was great down under over here he had a good season with Widnes was he a great ?
The games not so easy for a half back the , coach at the time was famed for never being happy with his halves , often chopping and changing .
Hanley went out and was sensational at Centre personally I think he could play anywhere and be dangerous but was I never keen on him at centre. Edwards did not have the physical ability but he did have guts a self determination and above all a pride for the shirt and town he represented , he may have been lucky we had our golden spell through out his career , then again is that just a coincidence and the golden spell was lucky to have him ?
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Of course he was a great player. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know anything about the game.

Dave
ian b

Post by ian b »

ww please let me have some of whatever your taking mate!!!.The game against Brisbane sums the man up,he ran alfie langer up his own backside,the so called best no7 on the planet and that was with a depleted side against the best side in the world.Mediocre players dont do things like that.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I would suggest that being the most decorated player in RL History should speak for itself!

Remember the original question. "Was he a great?"

I would say yes. Without doubt!

And by Jesus Christ Almighty, I wish we still had him now!!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I'm sorry - but if Edwards isn't/wasn't an all time great for Wigan - who was?

His determination was enough to set him aside from most of his generation - you never had to check if he was up for playing stains!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------