Mathers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
tom g

Mathers

Post by tom g »

After a really dodgy start to the season I feel he is getting to excellent form.The enthusiasm he brings to the side is great. Does anyone think he was trying too hard at the start of the year?
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Re: Mathers

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

i'll explain my thoughts tomorrow tom! ;)
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

cherry.pie wrote:He was awful in defence again, never seen a fullback being that bad at one on one tackling. However this weekend Wellens, Webb, Tansey and Greenshields have also been dreadful in defence as fullbacks so in that respect he's been the best fullback in Super League this week!
Glad he got the try though, even if he did just have to run straight.
His try was good he's got a bit of a swerve on him I thought.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Pelo knew he was in for an easy try he even got on the wrong side to make a tackle, force him outfield not in...

he got better though through the game
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

cherry.pie wrote:He was awful in defence again, never seen a fullback being that bad at one on one tackling. However this weekend Wellens, Webb, Tansey and Greenshields have also been dreadful in defence as fullbacks so in that respect he's been the best fullback in Super League this week!
Glad he got the try though, even if he did just have to run straight.
Unfortunately, very true.
Better going forward tonight, and he still had to hit the space to score, so I think he deserves credit for the try.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I thought that was his best game for us, defensively. The Pelo try was really the only one that was his fault, and he snuffed out three of their breaks in the first half.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

How did I know that was coming. It's sickening. Fielden got dumped and a forward had mathers in his sights with a head of steam. Hiding to nothing. Line broken mathers choise tackle first or try and intercept a pass. two on one without backup don't blame mathers.
One thing stood out. He put his body on the line when needed. If our forwards are so easy broken don'yt expect the fullback to fair any better. The number of times our line was broken is more of concern,
Jim
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well done Richie, good game and credit where credit is due.

:)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
neilbass

Post by neilbass »

Thought he did well. Think too many criticise for the sake of it. Get behind the lad!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Radders would have stopped most of what has strolled past Mathers.
Trying hard and failing most of the time is not good enough foe Wigan.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09