Smith Names Hock, Calders and Higham in Squad

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Smith Names Hock, Calders and Higham in Squad

Post by josie andrews »

England Coach Tony Smith has today announced his 19 man squad for Saturday's World Cup Semi-Final clash with New Zealand in Brisbane. Included in the 19 are Gareth Hock, Mark Calderwood and Mickey Higham.

1. Paul Wellens

2. Mark Calderwood

3. Martin Gleeson

4. Keith Senior

5. Lee Smith

6. Leon Pryce

7. Rob Burrow

8. Adrian Morley

9. Mickey Higham

10. Jamie Peacock (capt)

11. Gareth Ellis

12. Jamie Jones-Buchanan

13. Rob Purdham

INTERCHANGE

14. James Graham

15. Ben Westwood

16. James Roby

17. Kevin Sinfield

18. Jon Wilkin

19. Gareth Hock

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=4337

Glad to see he's put Mickey Higham as starting hooker :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
gpartin

Re: Smith Names Hock, Calders and Higham in Squad

Post by gpartin »

josie andrews wrote:

England Coach Tony Smith has today announced his 19 man squad for Saturday's World Cup Semi-Final clash with New Zealand in Brisbane. Included in the 19 are Gareth Hock, Mark Calderwood and Mickey Higham.

1. Paul Wellens

2. Mark Calderwood

3. Martin Gleeson

4. Keith Senior

5. Lee Smith

6. Leon Pryce

7. Rob Burrow

8. Adrian Morley

9. Mickey Higham

10. Jamie Peacock (capt)

11. Gareth Ellis

12. Jamie Jones-Buchanan

13. Rob Purdham

INTERCHANGE

14. James Graham

15. Ben Westwood

16. James Roby

17. Kevin Sinfield

18. Jon Wilkin

19. Gareth Hock

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=4337

Glad to see he's put Mickey Higham as starting hooker :)
Really pleased about that too, and a little surprised, great decision.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

markill

Post by markill »

is that definitely the starting line up because its a 19 man squad? at least he has 2 hookers in there so we can keep at them round the ruck all game this time. If this is a fair representation of final squad for sat then hock is just down as cover at the mo really as he is not in 1-17. I'm not sure with this...
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

markill wrote:is that definitely the starting line up because its a 19 man squad? at least he has 2 hookers in there so we can keep at them round the ruck all game this time. If this is a fair representation of final squad for sat then hock is just down as cover at the mo really as he is not in 1-17. I'm not sure with this...
He can announce the final 17 upto an hour before kick off but 19 man squad is unchangeable.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

markill

Post by markill »

gpartin wrote:
markill wrote:is that definitely the starting line up because its a 19 man squad? at least he has 2 hookers in there so we can keep at them round the ruck all game this time. If this is a fair representation of final squad for sat then hock is just down as cover at the mo really as he is not in 1-17. I'm not sure with this...
He can announce the final 17 upto an hour before kick off but 19 man squad is unchangeable.
yeah cheers, i'm aware of that - what i meant is do we know for sure that 1-13 if the definite starting line up or just presumed, because if it is the definite line up in that way then it might be a safe bet to assume the interchanges currently, injury permitting, will be the 14-17 on that list meaning hock misses out.

We know Roby and Graham are in and sinfield as much as i hate him can kick and play in the halfs as well as pretending to be a back rower and being one of smith's leeds boys so is likely to be in the 17 and westwood can cover at prop - meaning wilkin, who has been awful and is overrated as it is in my opinion as he can't defend unless its a high shot, and hock, who could be a liability with his indiscipline even though he is our most explosive forward, will miss out.

what do others think..?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I would have liked to have seen Danny Mcguire in for Pryce,who imo has been pretty poor.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Bit shocked really. What has McGuire done wrong? Gardener? I hope Hocky gets in. He can turn a game.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I would prefer him to play Mcguire with Burrows instead of Pryce. Was just pleased to see Mickey as the starting hooker. Hock must surely be included in the actual 17
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Hocky will not be playing tomorrow
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

cpwigan wrote:Hocky will not be playing tomorrow
does smith really want to win? hock can change a game totally. Or is he injured