Mathers or Amos?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Mathers or Amos?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Just reading the bottom of this interview with noble he mentions that Amos is a utility back.

What i think is interesting is he says;

"he plays wing well", "he plays full back outstandingly well"

now to me that suggests he feels his better position is full back in which case could he be thinking when Pryce is fit Richards and Pryce for the wings and Amos at the back.

I think if Pyrce got fully fit that would be our ideal set up cos both Amos and Richards could share full back and wing duties during the game.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 51,00.html
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kiwiseddon

Re: Mathers or Amos?

Post by Kiwiseddon »

It's not that I've anything against Richie Mathers but if we're honest, all I can really remember him doing during 2008 is getting himself sent off and letting John Wilkin run over the top of him.
He is(as has been pointed out) an average player at best.
If he wasn't on the pitch it wouldn't be the end of the world but I just can't see Noble not playing Roberts and Richards when they're available..........and they're both better fullbacks than Mathers!!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Just average does not get invited to play down under. Mathers was hung out to dry last season time and again. Mathers for fullback for me and Nobby will agree I think, Jim
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

i wont judge till ive seen both players together and alone in matches.

for me last year i felt the same as other about Richie but when we played Saints at the JJB he was the best on the field and if he has the guts to give 100% against saints when the other players are running scared then he deserves a place for me, but this season is a new season so we shall see
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Noble will play

Roberts
Pryce
Phelps
Carmont
Richards

As his starting outside backs once fully fit

That came out of the mouth of Noble.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

You'd have to givew Mathers a clean slate this season see how well he does initially and upto around game 8... if no improvement or sub-standard performances then I could see Roberts getting a nod for a few games to see how that pans out.

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If Noble had got what he wanted we would have had Greg Bird at 6. People need to start reading between the lines.

Read what Noble says about Roberts and FB.

Trust me that line up I posted is Noble's selection once fully fit.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

cpwigan wrote:If Noble had got what he wanted we would have had Greg Bird at 6. People need to start reading between the lines.

Read what Noble says about Roberts and FB.

Trust me that line up I posted is Noble's selection once fully fit.
Have you seen Amos at FB mate? I've only seen him on the wing. Is he any good?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

My recent memory of Roberts is on the wing. I do think he could be wasted on the wing. A person whose opinion I value from Aus rates as a genuine talent.

As it stands, Pryce/Mathers/Richards gives us a very ordinary kick return. Maybe Roberts can change that.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

cpwigan wrote:My recent memory of Roberts is on the wing. I do think he could be wasted on the wing. A person whose opinion I value from Aus rates as a genuine talent.

As it stands, Pryce/Mathers/Richards gives us a very ordinary kick return. Maybe Roberts can change that.
Lets hope so, we've got him for a good few years so I really hope he is given a chance to play where he is best.

I hope you're right with your selection for the backs, I'm just a bit surprised that Noble will be willing to drop Mathers.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."