Brian Noble and the future

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
kirkamania

Brian Noble and the future

Post by kirkamania »

I am a Noble fan and appreciate all he has done for Wigan

BUT

I just don't see that he can take the club any further than he already has. Yes we have technically finished 3rd in the last 2 seasons but we would be kidding ourselves to consider ourselves the 3rd best team

Due to Noble's contract running out at the end of the season it seems highly unlikely that it will be renewed and also with Mathers, Bailey, Coley, Phelps, Smith and Leuluai (hope he stays though) contracts also coming to an end it looks like there is going to be a big transition period ahead for us and this could be a start of something very promising if the people in charge get it right.
Fujiman

Re: Brian Noble and the future

Post by Fujiman »

kirkamania wrote:I am a Noble fan and appreciate all he has done for Wigan

BUT

I just don't see that he can take the club any further than he already has. Yes we have technically finished 3rd in the last 2 seasons but we would be kidding ourselves to consider ourselves the 3rd best team

Due to Noble's contract running out at the end of the season it seems highly unlikely that it will be renewed and also with Mathers, Bailey, Coley, Phelps, Smith and Leuluai (hope he stays though) contracts also coming to an end it looks like there is going to be a big transition period ahead for us and this could be a start of something very promising if the people in charge get it right.
Don't hold your breath mate :conf:
ajsefc

Post by ajsefc »

The thing I don't get and it's no secret to anyone is that the Wigan fans will tolerate a period of rebuilding if we are playing a good few local lads. Noble is very fortunate that the pressure would be relaxed if we were seeing 5 or 6 academy products in the 17 instead of average aussies
'I have a good stand up wash in that sink once a week'
jammie

Post by jammie »

if we were blooding the young lads then i would say yes we are in the re-building process,but they are playing and buying SO CALLED EXPERIENCED PLAYERS so i am sorry but to me to say we are re-building is just a lame excuse!i carn't help but wonder were we would be now had we stuck with all the young lads like wild,kev brown,hodgson,briscoe etc and any that i missed that gave stains a good hiding on that good friday i seem to remember we were 6-22 down at half time that game was all about pride.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

jammie wrote:if we were blooding the young lads then i would say yes we are in the re-building process,but they are playing and buying SO CALLED EXPERIENCED PLAYERS so i am sorry but to me to say we are re-building is just a lame excuse!i carn't help but wonder were we would be now had we stuck with all the young lads like wild,kev brown,hodgson,briscoe etc and any that i missed that gave stains a good hiding on that good friday i seem to remember we were 6-22 down at half time that game was all about pride.
That was our last great performance.
I need two things more home grown players and to see some structure in the way our sets are constructed ,I can not understand the second it's so easy and yet we seem miles away, even with a young team the fundamentals of this should be plain to see.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The trouble is with us supporters and the club in general is that we want to win trophy's.

We want to win them now no matter what.

We have not enough young players ready to play every game every week in SL so to try and satisfy our quest for silverware the club buys in experienced players.

I don't care what anyone says we will never be satisfied. A team full of young players or silverware? success? what do we want?

What we do need is PATIENCE! Leeds did it several years ago. They won nothing for years and lost their supporters because they put faith in bringing through their young players and look at them now a very successful team and all the supporters jumping on the bandwagon to be part of that success.

Why can't we be patient and play our young players and build them up to be great players with experience into a great trophy winning side? because all we want is success and we want it now! The players/coaches we have now will never achieve success because we are too impatient. If we play the young lads and they fail we will still be baying for blood. They are no good they have no experience, get so and so in we need experience. Get rid of so and so get rid of the players get rid of the coaches!

For God's sake give us a bloody break and stop all this bleating, be a bit more optimistic and patient and stop running the club down. If you are not happy supporting the best club game go and watch and support something else :exc:

We have a great club and great supporters who have stuck with the team through good and bad times lets keep doing that.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

We have been patient we have been rebuilding for years now and althought hey say we are building for the future we only had 1 local youngster in the team the other day and he was only in due to suspension
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

pedro wrote:We have been patient we have been rebuilding for years now and althought hey say we are building for the future we only had 1 local youngster in the team the other day and he was only in due to suspension
I have to agree with you, how many seasons have we been told now that we're building for the future. If that was the case then players such as Briscoe, Wild & Robinson shouldn't have been released and the club should have been patient with them.

I know it's not all down to the coach but the reality is that you're unable to sack all the players who aren't performing to their best standard, in reality it usually ends up with the coach being dismissed.

We'll just have to see if Friday will give us the foundation block we're looking for to rebuilding how to put trophies in the cabinet.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

I disagree with what you are saying Josie.

Most of us are under no illusions that if we won a trophy now it would simply be papering over the cracks and giving us something to smile about in the short term.

One of the major frustrations amongst fans at the moment is the quality of players that are blocking the progress of our youngsters. I would personally rather see Ainscough being developed rather than Phelps. Tim Smith is still trying to refind his feet in Rugby League. When he does this he will go back to the NRL. In the meantime Sam will be growing increasingly frustrated and sitting on the sidelines.
I do not advocate packing the team out with local youngsters, however we need to bring them through at a greater rate than we are doing currently. If it hadn't been for injuries giving Joel T his chance we would be having the same discussions about him. The club admitted they gave him more game time than they hoped to at that stage, but look how he has coped because he has the ability.

I cannot speak for anyone else on here, but I personally can be satisfied watching a Wigan team - especially one containing lots of Wigan lads (in fact those videos are taking quite a hammering recently).
I think it is only optimism that keeps us turning up. We convince ourselves that we are making a new start and this is the beginning of something big. We used to do this at the beginning of each season, now as highlighted in several threads on here recently, we are doing it on a week by week basis convincing ourselves a bad performance is the kick up the backside we needed.
I currently am not happy with the way the club are performing, however I do not intend to go and support something else. I carried on supporting the club when they were relegated and I will do now. I do not boo the team, but I sit there in absolute disbelief and silence.
I do not knock people who boo the team as they are simply showing their disappointment and frustration. I think you should also realise that the booing is not necessarily aimed just at the team. It is sometimes intended to be a little more far reaching than this.

If we could simply see improvements in the basics such as lack of leadership and lack of cohesion on the pitch, maybe even a set move now and again, then more of us would feel a little more convinced that we are on the right path and may be a little more patient.

I apologise for such a long winded rant, and this is not a personal dig at Josie, but as fans and shareholders we also have a duty of care. Pretending everything is rosy when we have been laughed at so many times over the last few seasons is not becoming of the biggest name in world rugby league.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
jammie

Post by jammie »

one challenge cup in the last ten years !!!! how much patience do you need when we have been so called re-building ever since,i don't mind getting beaten if we show effort and learn from our mistakes, but we lose stupid games by not doing the basics right and giving stupid penaltys away week after week, and the powers that be must sit down and find away to turn our fortunes around if it takes a few seasons with bringing in youngsters then so be it we will have to take the chance that some supporters will stop coming. first and foremost me have to stop giving away promising youngsters in favour of so called bigger named players who as far as i can see the only thing big about them is there reputation :exc: :exc: :exc:
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.