The Future of the Squad.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Martin Taylor

The Future of the Squad.

Post by Martin Taylor »

I enjoyed the game on Friday and thought the team showed a lot of effort. However, it was very similar to the Saints game at the JJB just a few weeks back, in that we just didn't have the organisation or the cutting edge at half back to find a result. I really don't think we are far off as a team, i just think two carefully selected individuals added to the team would make the difference.
I love to watch Tommy Leuleui and think he is very good individual talent, however, he still does not have the vision or organisational skills to lead the team around the field from scrum half. His footwork, speed and resiliance make him ideal for the hooking role.
For what it is worth i think had Dobson played for us, i am confident we would have put Hull to bed.
Tim Smith is probably the most naturally talented ball player in the team, but a combination of rumoured off field problems, lack of confidence and lets be honest a feeling that he really does not want to be here, make him a hit or miss player with no real ambitions.
Sam is a great talent and i therefore think it is so important who we select to partner him for the future.
I feel we have two options. Bring in another young talent with a long term partnership that will bring rewards in years to come. Myler or Doson would complement Sam perfectly. However, It is vital that if we do this, we build a powerful pack to protect and offer space to two young players with little experience.
We could on the other hand look at an experienced import half back in the Lockyer, Barrett mould who would take a bit of the pressure of Sam and give him some experience at the same time. However this is a short term fix.
Finally the second signing has to be the enforcer prop we have been crying out for for the past 2 or 3 seasons.
I really feel Wigan is in a real good postion regarding recruitment at the moment. We have a large squad at present made up of probably the best home grown talent of the past 10 to 15 years, and it is simply just a case of adding the key individuals who can take us to the next level.
Last years recruitment is starting to look poor. It can be argued the club should have forseen the development and rise of players such as Ainscough and Mike Mclorum, which have highlighted the redundancy for Roberts and Riddell in my oppinion.
It is for the above reasons, that this time around Mr Lenegan looks at quality ranther than quantity for next season.
AncientWarrior

Re: The Future of the Squad.

Post by AncientWarrior »

Martin Taylor wrote:I enjoyed the game on Friday and thought the team showed a lot of effort. However, it was very similar to the Saints game at the JJB just a few weeks back, in that we just didn't have the organisation or the cutting edge at half back to find a result. I really don't think we are far off as a team, i just think two carefully selected individuals added to the team would make the difference.
I love to watch Tommy Leuleui and think he is very good individual talent, however, he still does not have the vision or organisational skills to lead the team around the field from scrum half. His footwork, speed and resiliance make him ideal for the hooking role.
For what it is worth i think had Dobson played for us, i am confident we would have put Hull to bed.
Tim Smith is probably the most naturally talented ball player in the team, but a combination of rumoured off field problems, lack of confidence and lets be honest a feeling that he really does not want to be here, make him a hit or miss player with no real ambitions.
Sam is a great talent and i therefore think it is so important who we select to partner him for the future.
I feel we have two options. Bring in another young talent with a long term partnership that will bring rewards in years to come. Myler or Doson would complement Sam perfectly. However, It is vital that if we do this, we build a powerful pack to protect and offer space to two young players with little experience.
We could on the other hand look at an experienced import half back in the Lockyer, Barrett mould who would take a bit of the pressure of Sam and give him some experience at the same time. However this is a short term fix.
I agree, Martin.

The half-back combination is one of the vital ingredients of a successful team and one which has been missing for much of Wigan's recent past. Since the days of Edwards / Gregory, I think the only time we have been able to field the same half backs for 2 consecutive seasons was the recent partnership between Lueluai and Barrett- and that only lasted two seasons.

We now have an ideal opportunity to 'forge' a parnership between TL and Sam Tomkins which will last for at least the currency of Leuluai's new contract - a partnership which I believe will be the 'bedrock' of the side for years to come.

We can't afford to 'fanny about' with the half backs any longer. Sam Tomkins should be an automatic starter from now on. The term, 'duty of care' has no legal, moral or practical relevance in this instance.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If Tommy play 7 you need a real playmaking type 9. Personally I would get a real organiser / playermaker 7 with a right side bias and play Sam at 6 with Tommy/MM as hookers. Pig can sell/eat hot dogs. If Tommy plays 7 none of our hookers are ideal.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

i have said smoe were else we could afford to lose
Amos ,riddler ,bailey and smith next season and wouldnt effect the current squad.

We have plenty of backrowers so thats bailey covered(even though i think he been great to th club)

Micky mc and LULU would cover hooker

sam T is the number 6 so sm,ith sorted

and ainscough can easyly replace amos.

this would free load of cash for us ,to improve the youngsters deals with plenty in the pot to get a organising world class number 7 and another big prop

mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fans may think it harsh but if you pay big money for an established player overseas especially then they have to deliver what they are being paid for.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

mike binder wrote:i have said smoe were else we could afford to lose
Amos ,riddler ,bailey and smith next season and wouldnt effect the current squad.

Yeah, but how do we get rid of Roberts & Riddell? They got 4 year and 3 year contracts.