Carl Webb

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cpwigan

Carl Webb

Post by cpwigan »

Our No1 target in Aus. O'Meley a backup if unsuccessful but unlikely to come because he has several very young children.
fred_flintstone

Re: Carl Webb

Post by fred_flintstone »

Why bother, I'd take Myler and build for the long-term.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

Who is Carl Webb?
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would take Myler too and swap Fielden for either of those.
thomo

Post by thomo »

I have always said this and will continue to say it - get the go forward right - lay the platfrom and let the backs play.
You could have you choice of the best two half backs in the world but if the forwards are not getting you out of your own half then you will struggle.

For me two big tough forwards are required - I think some size is needed in the second row.

How I wish Roberts will ask for a release and Riddell due to not settling in the country.

Mason and Webb/O'Meely would do do nicely for me - releasing Bailey and another Aussie
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cherrywarrior wrote:Who is Carl Webb?
Aussie international second row/prop, plays for the Broncos.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He used to play for the Broncos. Now plays for the Cowboys. Played for Aus once or twice and queensland several times. Known as a super tough enforcer with a decent offload. Occasionally a tad controversial.

John Morris of West Tigers has signed for a SL Club but I do not know which one.

Info comes from a very good source.
thomo

Post by thomo »

I am going to ask now who is John Morris
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mal Meninga's man gives Carl Webb hope
Tuesday, 28 April 2009:

Queensland coach Mal Meninga's right hand man provided a shot in the arm for snubbed enforcer Carl Webb after the Maroons preliminary 25-strong squad was named on Tuesday.

But he didn't provide much confidence for Scott Prince despite the Gold Coast Titans halfback's inclusion in the squad unveiled ahead of the June 3 Origin opener at Melbourne.

Maroons assistant - and North Queensland coach - Neil Henry admitted his Cowboys charge Webb had endured an "indifferent" season start after the former Test prop was a notable squad absentee along with teammate Matt Bowen.

But Henry said Meninga had told him he would be keeping an open mind before the game one 17 was named on May 26.

"He's had a bit of an indifferent start to the year, but he's proven in that arena," Henry said of Webb.

"And I know after talking to Mal that it (squad) is not the final cut by any means and that players like Carl and (Cowboys forward) Matty Scott can still put their hands up in the next few weeks.

"I thought he (Webb) was thereabouts (for Maroons squad selection) - he will need to step up in the next few weeks."

Webb - a veteran of 12 Origin games - is back in the Cowboys squad after being dropped for a game recently for disciplinary reasons.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

By Josh Massoud
x TELEGRAPH
April 11, 2008 12:00am

WILLIE Mason picked a fight with the Bulldogs and won. Now he has been challenged to back it up against the most fearsome fists in rugby league.

Carl Webb, the former Queensland champion boxer, has demanded to occupy the opposite corner for Mason's boxing debut.

The Cowboys' wrecking ball boasts a 7-0 amateur record and has been mooted as a dream opponent since Mason announced his desire to fight last November.

But Webb has remained tight-lipped about making a comeback - until now.

"Bring it on," the 108kg enforcer declared last night. "I know that Willie wants to fight and so do I. Who wouldn't want to see it happen?"

Disgraced former AFL star Wayne Carey was favoured to be Mason's first-up opponent, but the 37-year-old's troubled personal life has raised credibility concerns. Webb, on the other hand, is a genuinely feared puncher right in the prime of his sporting career.

"I can't see why he would want to fight someone like Carey, who is clearly past it," Webb said. "If Willie's fair dinkum about having a fight he should fight someone who's also fair dinkum - not someone who is retired and out of shape."

The fact both would-be fighters double as Origin villains for their respective States has not been lost on promoters.

Webb's agent Sam Ayoub has already been in talks with Townsville-based officials to host the exhibition fight at Dairy Farmers Stadium in January.

"It's something the public would love to see," Ayoub said. "I spoke with Willie's management this week."

Given Webb's pugilistic pedigree, it was first thought Mason would be cold on the idea. But his camp has confirmed Webb is "an option".

Mason declined to answer Webb's challenge when contacted last night.

"To be honest, boxing is the last thing on my mind at the moment," Mason said.

"Something's going to happen in the off-season with boxing and I'll just leave that to my manager."

Despite conceding experience, Mason enjoys an extra 14cm height and 7kg weight advantage.

Promoters last night said interest in the bout would rival some of the biggest fights held on Australian soil.

High-profile matchmaker Angelo Hyder described the Mason-Webb fight as "the rugby league equivalent to Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson".

"It would be the biggest fight since Anthony Mundine and Danny Green," Hyder said.

I doubt the big cat will take up the offer but if he does I hope Webb batters the germ.