Stobart Stadium for Semi

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Stobart Stadium for Semi

Post by cpwigan »

What do people think?

Personally I think it smacks of a lack of ambition from the RFL. A capacity of 13,500 in a less than desireable location.

The Wigan v Wire Semi at Maine Road was a great occasion. The City Stadium, The Reebok or Deepdale would have shown far more ambition on the part of the RFL and been more fitting stadia for such an occasion.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Stobart Stadium for Semi

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The RFL up to their usual tricks. If the RFL are serious about "growing" our game then at some point there has to be a massive shake up in their ranks. This is a typical example. Wigan have the 2nd biggest following in the league and have a rich history in the cup. Wire aren't too bad with away support either.

To me that leaves the RFL 2 choices.

1) pick a smallish groud that they can guarentee to fill out knowing the support of these 2 teams with very little effort on their part and leave it to the clubs.

2) Pick a bigger stadium and get some PR behind the event try and attract some Neutrals to a cup intensity game or be optimistic and work at making the event a success.

The RFL policy seems to be aim low and make sure you can achieve which is frankly never going to get this sport anywhere, they need to step up the PR and make sure Rugby League gets the coverage it deserves.

People have previously mentioned the treatment of Rugby League as a secondary sport but there never seems to be any opposition to this, the RFL seem very happy to let the clubs do all the work in regards promotion of events and just dont seem bothered about developing the game.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

this stinks.

if all season ticket holders (or most) take up the tickets on offer it leaves none for general sale.
those with no season tickets (for many various reasons) will miss out.

what a joke.
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

Susi

Post by Susi »

Probably a lot to do with making it look good by filling stadium for the tv cameras too.
I agree though with some thought and good PR this could be marketed well enough to fill perhaps likes Galpharm stadium, which is where i actually thought we would be playing semi.
If they'd done some good deals like family ticket and bring friend who not season ticket holder for good price would have attracted good few.
They have nearly 8 weeks to prepare.
Makes you wonder like stated if they can be bothered or if its all for superleague and GF trophy nowdays.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

I think they are trying to rip us off with the ticket prices my god seriously how rude!!!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
the-Bowtun-Warrior

can anyone find a seating plan for the stadium.
in the off chance that i can get a ticket i'd like to know where to ask for one lol...

the-Bowtun-Warrior

the-Bowtun-Warr ior wrote:can anyone find a seating plan for the stadium.
in the off chance that i can get a ticket i'd like to know where to ask for one lol...

call off the search. found one:

http://www2.halton.gov.uk/stadium/conte ... nd/?a=5441

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

The RFL is between a rock and a hard place here. A full vibrant stadium with atmosphere and excitement, or a COM 50-60% full and rattling round a bit.

I for one am embarressed by the lack of crowd at some of the games you see. The millenium stadium for the past 2 magic years was woefully empty and internationals (Aus v Kiwi) make us look like a minority, poorly attended game (truth in part).

If the RFL could manage it a 20000-ish capacity stadium would be the obvious venue and full. Leeds?
the-Bowtun-Warrior

just found this on the RFL website regarding STAINS ticket details:
Tickets will go sale exclusively to Season Ticket Holders and members on Wednesday 3 June at 9am until Friday 12 June. They can purchase four tickets each.

:eh:
how many season tickets do they have?
surely thats unheard of!
laughable really!

mike binder

Post by mike binder »

in 2004 we played warrington in a semi at the widnes ground and failed to sell our allication???
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME