Noble has a novel idea

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Noble has a novel idea

Post by DaveO »

Read this:

Noble on England

The pertinent bit is the last paragraph:

"I think form will be the determining factor, and should be, for picking the side ......"

Really Brian? Well apply that rule to Wigan then!

Dave
cpwigan

Re: Noble has a novel idea

Post by cpwigan »

This is the guy who when a young Mcguire was on fire opted to select an over the hill Harris with inevitable results. He was an awful GB coach IMO.

Don't get me started re picking on form re Wigan

Farrell is the form reserve. I bet you he does not make the 17 v Celts. Pryce has never shown the form to warrant one opportunity this season but how many has he had.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO wrote:Read this:

Noble on England

The pertinent bit is the last paragraph:

"I think form will be the determining factor, and should be, for picking the side ......"

Really Brian? Well apply that rule to Wigan then!

Dave
No "duty of care" for all the youngsters in the side, then?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Maybe he means form in the "prison" sense of the word?

If so, Leon Pryce must be the first name on the team sheet!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Noble thinks form will be the determining factor because Tony Smith is coach and he actually knows how to coach a team.

Shame Mr Noble will not follow suit. He will stick to his three usually policies:
- Pick your favourites
- Put Aussies/Overseas before English players
- Make the team play boring rugby

I bet when Maurie Fa'asavalu decided to play for 'England' Noble was kicking himself. If he knew he could get Kolpac players to play for 'England' he would have just played his Bradford squad as the 'England/Great Britain' team.
Spanakopitta

Post by Spanakopitta »

nobody else think that maybe Ian Leneghan meddles in team selection and that the coach doesnt have the final say????
GEER EM ONSIDE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Spanakopitta wrote: nobody else think that maybe Ian Leneghan meddles in team selection and that the coach doesnt have the final say????
Frankly if that were the case I think Ainscough would be picked every week.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

IL is often not around to meddle week to week etc. Noble selects the team nobody else. Whether IL has a major say in signings is possibly another matter.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Whether IL has a major say in signings is possibly another matter.
I am guessing IL does have a major say and I don't just mean saying whether or not the club can afford to fit a certain player under the salary cap.

According to his recent interview on GMR when he was out in Aus and some players he was there to discuss signing were not deemed suitable for whatever reason after further investigation but he then went on to say two or three others possibly were.

It sounded to me like he had a hit list of players to check out but came away with a different list of players as possible signings.

Now there was only him out there and while he could have been in touch with BN I can't imagine he was on the phone constantly. So it sounded to me like IL made the decision not to pursue the singing of certain players based on what he heard.

That is I got the impression it was IL discussing things with the likes of Graham Murry and coming to conclusions about various players.

If so I don't really have a problem with it as previous Wigan coaches were given a team and told to coach it but it depends of course if the players signed are good players and if the coach can make the best of what he is given. I can't say I am convinced in either of those scores so far.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

To be fair it has always been so what a lot of fans do not know is that we owe much to the much maligned Jack Robinson or rather his brother who was working / living in Aus and acted as the scout / researcher for players and help secure signings like John Ferguson and and Brett Kenny.