Boots 'n All Bias

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
BriH

Boots 'n All Bias

Post by BriH »

I watched Boots 'n All the other night and I have never heard such anti-Wigan bias from Eddie Hemmings.
He really showed his true colours.
I honestly believe that Wigan RL Club should formally complain to BSkyB.
Anybody else share my view, or am I being biased too?
Kittwazzer

Re: Boots 'n All Bias

Post by Kittwazzer »

Didn't catch it. What did he say?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Bri he is either very biased and/or very stupid. I have to say the entire programme was incredibly poor.

At no time was Terry O'Connor defending Gareth Hock. Far from it. He was calling for more education programmes. Something that was supported later in the programme by Paul Cullen.

Hemmings never raised any issue with the paradox concerning the lenient actions towards players convicted of violent acts and the woeful reaction of the sport towards such players in general. Why has he never criticised Catalan re Greg Bird? St Helens for supporting a twice convicted player?

Personally his views on any subject lack reasoning and portray him as an ignorant bafoon. What a coach or player achieved 3 years ago, 5 years ago is just that HISTORY. Why did he not criticise St Helens for not offering Sean Long a 2 year contract. The two most successful clubs in SL change their coach every 3 years, Saints and Leeds. Bradford did so when they were successful. Ironically retaining a coach for longer has resulted in decline. Wigan during the 80's and 90's never retained coaches beyond 3 years.

In the last 3 years Brian Noble has 56.6% win % for Wigan.
Graeme West - 90.1%
John Monie - First Spell 80.2% Second Spell 80.4% - Total 80.2%
Mike Gregory - 76.9%
Frank Endacott - 75.5%
Stuart Raper - 73.1%
Andy Goodway - 71.8%
Denis Betts - 61.8%
Eric Hughes - 57.5%
Brian Noble - 56.6%
Ian Millward - 37.5%
C/O Bilko re Figures

That is the reality. A coach who has won nothing in the last 3 years.

Paul Cullen is living proof that loyalty to a coach achieves very little.

The programme itself. I think Paul Cullen commenting on Widnes affairs matches is very poor and unfair. There are strong arguments that Widnes beating Halifax was due to a flood of recent loan deals from SL. Yet, this issue was never raised? Why?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:
Graeme West - 90.1%
John Monie - First Spell 80.2% Second Spell 80.4% - Total 80.2%
Mike Gregory - 76.9%
Frank Endacott - 75.5%
Stuart Raper - 73.1%
Andy Goodway - 71.8%
Denis Betts - 61.8%
Eric Hughes - 57.5%
Brian Noble - 56.6%
Ian Millward - 37.5%
C/O Bilko re Figures
If those figures are correct, it certainly puts matters into perspective. In fact, if you can get Dorahy in there, above Noble, it should clinch it for any remaining fence-sitters!

Also, it clearly demonstrates just how high expectations were and the level of demands on the coach in the days when we sacked Uncle Frank!!
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

I cant stand the programme so didnt watch it but it sounds like there are people in glass houses throwing stones....
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

You did not miss anything Fred. I have even grown tired of Paul Cullen and his OTT use of coaching speak when analysing the previous weekend games.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Yes, very big stones. What annoys me is that all (most) other teams are portraying themselves as whiter than white, when in fact, they are morally worse than our club as the lack of punishments handed out by clubs regarding matters of affray, GBH etc.
If Pryce, Reardon, Feka, Bird and especially Cockayne (the video footage is horrendous) they would all have been banned for a considerable length of time by the NRL, never mind their own clubs.
Has Hock attacked anybody? has his actions ruined anyone elses life? I think this is getting slightly blown out of proportion by the overly bias approach of Boots'n'all. I don't remember there being this much hype surrounding Hudson when he tested positive and I have never heard it mentioned during a match commentary since his comeback, can you imagine if Hock stays fit and makes a comeback? The grecian 2000 loving Hemmings is just a patronising, illinformed prat.

I don't know if anyone on here has seen this CCTV footage of the Ben Cockayne incident, it's pretty shocking so don't click on the link if you are likely to be upset by the aggression carried out in the attack.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... ticle.html

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Had it not been for Cockanyne's "celebrity" status then he would have gone down - he should of. Likewise Pryce should have been sent down with Reardon for his home invasion attack (although considering what Pryce does to opponents on the pitch - he may well have enjoyed a stay in the big house).

Hock's ban has received more media coverage because he is a current international - I don't think Hudson made many appearances for the national side before his ban.

I don't watch Boot's n all - I gave up watching it some time ago. It's a load of tripe served up by two horrendous comedic idiots who should have been retired a decade ago. Throw in a coach who considering his resources at his disposal is probably one of the least successful coaches of all time and you have a recipe for an hour of warrington/stains biased rubbish. (Hemmings and Powers both support wire). The super league show, whilst not perfect is streets ahead of the offering from Sky.

The sooner sky guts the RL team (keeping Barrie and Terry and Bill Arthur) and gets in some proper sports journalists the better. The rugby union doesn't have to put up with this - so why should we.

Oh and listening to Phil (Cliff Richard) Clarke witter on about unrelated statistics drives me up the wall. Do most fans really care about the percentage of metres made by replacement prop forwards when it's slightly overcast and the month has an "R" in it? No, me neither

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

On the subject of Gareth Hock I don't think he was particularly biased, just reporting what has happened.

Regarding changing coaches, his lack of detailed knowledge on the nuances of the Wigan coaching demise isn't surprising, just because he's not a Wigan fan.

I wouldn't say they were biased from a default setting. They just want to sensationalise the subject as much as they can to generate viewing figures. I don't think what he says has any relation to what he thinks. He just plays devils advocate to the panel.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Matthew wrote:Had it not been for Cockanyne's "celebrity" status then he would have gone down - he should of. Likewise Pryce should have been sent down with Reardon for his home invasion attack (although considering what Pryce does to opponents on the pitch - he may well have enjoyed a stay in the big house).
After watching that video I couldn't agree with you more Matt. I wonder just how much of a hiding you have to give somebody before a court will send you to prison. He kicks and knees him full on in the head at least 8 times. Apparently the guy at the end of the booting suffered seven broken ribs, a broken nose, head swelling and a black eye .