Should we have signed Gilly?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TonyH

Should we have signed Gilly?

Post by TonyH »

With Lee Gilmour signing for the Giants next season does anyone think that maybe we should have snapped him up as a replacement for Gaz Hock? I think Gilly is one of the most underrated players in Super League, thoughts?
Up The Mont!
cpwigan

Re: Should we have signed Gilly?

Post by cpwigan »

He is a good player but no. We have umpteen back rowers and Gilmour has 1 year in the opinion of Saints and 2 years in the opinion of Huddersfield left. Shame he left us when he was young though.

Hock 'being suspended' may mean that Bailey is retained and he offers what Gilmour offers IMO.
ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior »

Not to sure if at this time in his career we should have re-signed him. There is no doubt that he is still a very good player, and could have filled the gap left by hock for 2 years, maybe until Hock returns? But I think we should use this oportunity to progress one our own youngster, Mossop maybe.

For me the big question is should we have ever let him go?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

UW, it was his choice to leave sadly. IIRC the irony is that he was not happy at the time playing in the back row and wanted to play centre.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Gilmour has also struggled of late with injuries,he has had a long career and is slightly past his best. Not really suitable for us.
ian b

Post by ian b »

surely we want to keep pushing the young ones through and as cp says we have plenty of second rowers so no