No new signings for 2010 thus far - WEP

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

No new signings for 2010 thus far - WEP

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

In tonights WEP, IL states that he is only interested in signing the best players from the NRL but they must be the right players at the right price. He is therefore, prepared to wait until the quality players become available.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with his thinking save from the top players will only move if they are paid top dollar.

I do however, have concerns over our ability to develop a recruitment plan! We should have a three year plan which identifies the positions that we need to fill and possible recruits. In effect, we should be talking to agents about the availability of their players for the 2011 season not hoping that a player becomes available this year at the right price.

Given the comments today, I think that there will be minimal changes to the team next year. This means that the likes of Phelps, Carmont, Bailey and Coley are likely to be offered a new one year contract. What I would like to see is the addition of two top class recruits in 2010 followed by two more in 2011. This would allow stability within the club as well as moving the team forward.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Re: No new signings for 2010 thus far - WEP

Post by cpwigan »

Long since believed that the only option for us under IL is to produce our own players. I believe he operates under the misguided notion that Sport is like every other business. It never has been, it never will be.

I daresay IL has spoken with and enjoyed meeting masses of marquee RL stars but once they start talking $/£s that becomes the end of our interest.

I haven't ruled out Noble being retained even though it is clear he is not wanted.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:I daresay IL has spoken with and enjoyed meeting masses of marquee RL stars but once they start talking $/£s that becomes the end of our interest.
That is how I interpret this quote from the linked article:

"It's proving to be tough to get the right quality of people at the right price."

The quality is there but he won't pay the going rate is my interpretation and 2010 was the year IL said we would be free to make signings. He has also said we want a prop and half back (wep article says stand off).

Also, define "right quality" and "right price"! Do last years IL signings meet this criteria (Riddell and Roberts)?

Dave
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I daresay IL has spoken with and enjoyed meeting masses of marquee RL stars but once they start talking $/£s that becomes the end of our interest.
That is how I interpret this quote from the linked article:

"It's proving to be tough to get the right quality of people at the right price."

The quality is there but he won't pay the going rate is my interpretation and 2010 was the year IL said we would be free to make signings. He has also said we want a prop and half back (wep article says stand off).

Also, define "right quality" and "right price"! Do last years IL signings meet this criteria (Riddell and Roberts)?

Dave
here, here

the only similarity between IL and quality is his initials
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

what bothers me more is he has re-iterated his desire for a half back. with a full complement of 2 hookers and 2 halfbacks on staff that means someone has got to lose and and lets face it knowing our club that can only be Macca or Sam. Unless you are going to replace Lulu there is no need for another halfback, keep Phelps on as back up for the backline, as he can pretty much play all positions to a decent standard and make Sam a first team regular, i think he is more than ready for a first team spot.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sam will play I presume. We have to produce not only players but stars from our youngsters. Producing SL players is no easy task, proucing your own stars is even more difficult.

Not that he would but can you imagine IL meeting with Greg Inglis. Nice lunch. IL "I want you to come to Wigan Greg" / GI "I would love to. I am worth £250K per season" IL thanks GI for the meeting and leaves hastily.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan_forever19 85 wrote:what bothers me more is he has re-iterated his desire for a half back. with a full complement of 2 hookers and 2 halfbacks on staff that means someone has got to lose and and lets face it knowing our club that can only be Macca or Sam. Unless you are going to replace Lulu there is no need for another halfback, keep Phelps on as back up for the backline, as he can pretty much play all positions to a decent standard and make Sam a first team regular, i think he is more than ready for a first team spot.
If we are looking to recruit from the NRL then Phelps has to go due to the overseas players restrictions. If he is retained after 31st July then we will know that our recruitment options have diminished.

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We will re-sign Phelps. It is the lazy, easy option. Why not give him the 5 year deal he wants.
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

cpwigan wrote:We will re-sign Phelps. It is the lazy, easy option. Why not give him the 5 year deal he wants.
Why not go for no imports at all and only play those that come from our youth and reserve teams now that would be brave and should stop all the moaning about our poor imported players
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Does it mzatter where they come from? as long as they are cheap