Re: Paul Prescott

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

I would agree with every said by Cherry.Pie. A player from the Wigan academy is doing really well at the moment but it does seem that some people are scared to give Prescott the praise he deserves, perhaps people have got to used to criticising players like O'Loughlin, Hock, Joel Tomkins etc or maybe its because good young Wigan players often end up at Huddersfield.

One thing Prescott is surprisingly good at is his ball handling skills. Most props are expected to just run at the opposition and that's it but Prescott has shown he can pass the ball very well and has put players through gaps and created tries.

I think a good passing game is something that good props are going to need in the future. Graham at St Helens does a lot of passing for a prop and like I've said Prescott has a similar talent. In the wider picture I would hope that Tony Smith is looking at Graham and Prescott as props who could really cause problems at international level. (I no Prescott was selected for Ireland but I think he still qualifies for England)
neilbass

Post by neilbass »

Been thinking for a couple of weeks that he's been working hard driving the ball up etc, but his game has been missing a couple of important things.
I've thought he needs to try to bust tackles Feka style - did it today well and needs to take that confidence through to the remaining rounds of SL and play-offs.
And the offload - done so well tonight. He was looking plenty times when nobody on his shoulder, but to drive it up and then produce the one handed offload to Coley - Kearney-style, for the try was superb.
Stuart Fielden your time is up. Automatic selection is surely about to end??
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

One thing Prescott is surprisingly good at is his ball handling skills. Most props are expected to just run at the opposition and that's it but Prescott has shown he can pass the ball very well and has put players through gaps and created tries.

He has an ability too drop the ball on our own line, like i have said, he does more damage too us than onto the opposition. I'd love too see his avg knock-ons per match
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

Shevi 4 life wrote:

He has an ability too drop the ball on our own line, like i have said, he does more damage too us than onto the opposition. I'd love too see his avg knock-ons per match
I dare say the knock on average would be high, but not as high as Fieldens.

Prescott is the best prop we've produced in 10 yrs and IMO he could develop into international class - he does all the basics really well. I'm trying to not see this through rose tinted glasses considering just becase we have 2 props that on yesterdays performance are a liability and/or laughing stock and we have Coley who is only over the last 3 months really shown why we bought him.

Prop's cornerstone position and if we dont sign one this winter prepare for next season being deja vu.
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

LooseHead wrote:
Shevi 4 life wrote:

Prescott is the best prop we've produced in 10 yrs and IMO he could develop into international class - he does all the basics really well. I'm trying to not see this through rose tinted glasses considering just becase we have 2 props that on yesterdays performance are a liability and/or laughing stock and we have Coley who is only over the last 3 months really shown why we bought him.

Prop's cornerstone position and if we dont sign one this winter prepare for next season being deja vu.
How can you say he is doing the basics very well, when he FREQUENTLY drops the ball on our own twenty, aswell as everywhere on the pitch.

I do think that fielden is the same. Unfortunately Our Prop forwards, are incredibly below standard.
ian b

Post by ian b »

prescott is a great prop,i just wished we hadnt got rid of Hargreaves as the front row would have been pretty awesome now!!! :D
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

ian b wrote:prescott is a great prop,i just wished we hadnt got rid of Hargreaves as the front row would have been pretty awesome now!!! :D
i didnt know that dropping the ball on our twenty made you great..... hmmmmm i shall try.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Shevi 4 life wrote:
ian b wrote:prescott is a great prop,i just wished we hadnt got rid of Hargreaves as the front row would have been pretty awesome now!!! :D
i didnt know that dropping the ball on our twenty made you great..... hmmmmm i shall try.

How many balls did Prescott knock on yesterday errrrrrrrrrrrrrrafter watching the replay i think none.
ian b

Post by ian b »

Shevi 4 life wrote:
apart from dropping the ball he is a great prop!!! :lol:
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

Shevi 4 life wrote:
LooseHead wrote:
Shevi 4 life wrote:

How can you say he is doing the basics very well, when he FREQUENTLY drops the ball on our own twenty, aswell as everywhere on the pitch.

I do think that fielden is the same. Unfortunately Our Prop forwards, are incredibly below standard.
I know he's dropped some ball, and I know sometimes this has been off kick offs or in our 20 etc but IMO there's plenty other people in the side making costly cock-ups too. I'll accept ball carrying is a basic, i'll give you that.

However, angles of his runs, his positioning in the tackle (if you review how he was shutting Jamie Peacock down in the Leeds game), having a brain like he showed for coley's try yesterday and his work ethic for me count just as much and a bit more than a few dropped balls.