Wigan 32 Hull KR 6

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Wigan 32 Hull KR 6

Post by ancientnloyal »

Good win against a tough Hull KR side. The weather told but to conceeed 2 tries in the opening 2 games is some achievement. Our +- is healthy and we should be top of the league after tonight's performance!!! Where has Roberts been?

Phelps had an ankle problem and is going for a scan tomorrow. Hansen should be fine just shaken, luckily not stirred.

Crusaders beat Salford also if anyone is wondering on Noble Watch
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
OAMJSONA

Re: Wigan 32 Hull KR 6

Post by OAMJSONA »

all round solid performance but Feka needs to be taught to play the ball proper - the lads look meaner, fitter, stronger . keep it up boys lets see how we do . Next weeks game should be a cracker
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Joel Tomkins had a stormer he was my MOM. Was a bit disappointed with the crowd was the weather really bad?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thought the second half performance was awesome and reminiscent of the old Wigan. KR simply could not get out of their own half.

Everyone played their part and the only reason that KR scored was because Smith gave them countless opportunities.

Roberts? He must have sent his stand in over last season - because he is a completely different player so far this year - and I loved the way he grinned at Newton as he raced over for his second score :D
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Roberts, Tomkins and Fielden all played really well tonight, Lee Massop also looked quite impressive. The defensive effort from Wigan was outstanding tonight and few big tackles really took the fight out of Hull KR.

Warrington will be a lot tougher than Crusaders or Hull KR, it will not be easy for Wigan to physically dominate the Warrington forwards but if Wigan can cut out any silly mistakes then we have a good chance.

Ian Smith worst referee in super league?
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Much much better! I though the physicality of the whole team was infinately better. We seem to make 2-3 yards more in attack and the defence was phenominal. I was so impressed watching them fly up in defence as quickly in the 75th minute as they did in the the first.
Thought all the second rowers were great but as a technical team display, it was right up there.
Really looking forward to the Wire match.
Well done MM!!!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The defence all over the pitch not just in out own half won us the match. We really punished them in just about every tackle and at half time even though it was only 10-6 I thought they would fade due to how we battered them and that is what happened.

When on attack they were too tired and made mistakes, coughed up possession cheaply and had to defend so it was IMO inevitable they would run out of steam.

Last season we would have gone 24-6 up and let them score 12 before clinging on for a nervous victory if we were lucky. Not any more!

Dave
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

It's great isn't it. I'm really impressed with the huge change in defensive skill and attitude. We beasted KR tonight and some of the hits we put on were great. Andy Coley and Fielden have both upped their ante and Lee Mossop is putting in some powerful yards. As for Amos Roberts - my faith in him from last week was well placed and I'm 20 dabs the richer cashing in first try at 10/1.

If I had to be hyper critical some of the attack was a bit scruffy and forced at times, but if we carry on playing like this I'll be a very happy fan.

:cool:
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

weststand-rich wrote:It's great isn't it. I'm really impressed with the huge change in defensive skill and attitude. We beasted KR tonight and some of the hits we put on were great. Andy Coley and Fielden have both upped their ante and Lee Mossop is putting in some powerful yards. As for Amos Roberts - my faith in him from last week was well placed and I'm 20 dabs the richer cashing in first try at 10/1.

If I had to be hyper critical some of the attack was a bit scruffy and forced at times, but if we carry on playing like this I'll be a very happy fan.

:cool:
10/1 is great odds (even with hindsight) A fair few of us had him on predictions league.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

A very impressive performance - I thought we made HKR look a much worse side than they really are. All the forwards worked well, especially Coley and Mossop (who I think deserves more game time), and isn't it refreshing to see the wingers get so much ball. Impressed with the way we adapted to Phelps's injury, too - although Roberts was never really tested defensively he did nothing wrong when dropped into fullback, and still looked dangerous in attack - that last try was just beautiful to watch.

The only poor point for me was Tommy's kicking game not being as good as usual.