Feka/McIlorum

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wharthog

Feka/McIlorum

Post by Wharthog »

MM doesnt seem to like Feka, dropped again for the Leeds game. Reckon he can get his place back? be interested to hear what other think on this.

im very excited to hear the news McIlorum is in the squad for the Leeds game, hope he can do as well as he did last season, u guys rate him as high as i do? i think on his day hes amazing, and great to watch.
cpwigan

Re: Feka/McIlorum

Post by cpwigan »

I am told Feka has not been written off but he is seen as a project in development. I think the notion some fans have that the squad is rotated is a complete red herring. It's not the best standard but Feka set up a peach of a try to Ian Thormel in the U20 game i saw.

Mickey Mac. Some fans say he is not fully fit after his injury. I suppose it depends on how long he has to play. The player that came to the club looked an awesome prospect but I would really like to see him kick on with his development. He could be a terrific hooker but he needs to develop the weakest parts of his game.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote: Mickey Mac. Some fans say he is not fully fit after his injury. I suppose it depends on how long he has to play. The player that came to the club looked an awesome prospect but I would really like to see him kick on with his development. He could be a terrific hooker but he needs to develop the weakest parts of his game.
I didn't see the Cas game, but in the Hull game he certainly didn't look up to his usual standard. If MM thinks he's ready to at least make the 19 for Leeds, though, he must be getting there.

I think he's very much MM's type of player (especially in defence), probably more so than Riddell is, and he certainly has more dimensions to his game than Riddell does, for example his scoots from DH, and his kicking game. His right to left passing accuracy needs work, but I've already seen a big improvement in that in just the last 12 months or so.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote: I think the notion some fans have that the squad is rotated is a complete red herring.
If you are referring to a post I made, I had it on good authority. at the time. that this was so & not a red herring!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No, I was thinking of fans in general but if anybody Dave O perhaps. I had totally forgotten about your post.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:No, I was thinking of fans in general but if anybody Dave O perhaps. I had totally forgotten about your post.
Well it's pretty obvious Feka wasn't dropped initially given what Josie said so squad rotation is what happened in that particular instance so to suggest the idea is a red herring is a bit odd. It's what happened.

MM has made several unforced changes to the team such as Mossop, Goulding and Feka and the first two certainly did nothing bad enough to get dropped in the usual negative sense that being dropped implies. It's clear MM is using his squad where he can and I think people need to get over the idea a player being "dropped" is some huge slight on them.

There is a big difference between being dropped and never seen again this season than being dropped and then getting back in the side later. The latter is better looked on as squad rotation. :wink:

I think we will see fairly regular in's and out's to and from the first 17 where we have several players genuinely vying for a particular position. We don't have that luxury in all positions but in some we do and given what we have seen so far I'd expect much more movement into and out of the first 17 than we saw under Noble.

Dave
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

It's good to see Mickey Mac back in the squad. However there are a couple of reservations. Firstly his injury record, since he came to Wigan as a 16 year old I don't think he has managed a full season without injury, some of them quote prolonged. Secondly his discipline, particularly off the field has had him in hot water with the club on more than one occasion. I just hope it's a case of young over exuberance but it is a concern.
Ancientbutloyal

Post by Ancientbutloyal »

I would sooner have Feka in the squad than O'Caroll any day and I feel sorry for the guy, cannot see the logic in MM's decision... may be personal ?? however he's the gaffer and we keep winning so enough said.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Think we are being a bit hasty here writing Feka off .Is MM and Bitcom not trying to turn Feka into more of an all round player???? rather than being a battering ram and susceptical in defense.You have to look at the commitment to what Feka has done shedding the weight in the under 20s against Hull he played for an hour without being taken off.His defense has improved but his barnstorming energy sapping runs have dissapeared and is playing more of a prop forwards role now.Losing all the weight that he did in so short of a time ,he would have lost a lot of strength which needs to be built up on the weights. Could he not be the next Fu Fu Moi MOi ???????????

Put this on another thread about Feka still think he will come good.
MCallorum will get a game in the first team squad when MM thinks he is ready dont think he is fully fit yet.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:No, I was thinking of fans in general but if anybody Dave O perhaps. I had totally forgotten about your post.
Well it's pretty obvious Feka wasn't dropped initially given what Josie said so squad rotation is what happened in that particular instance so to suggest the idea is a red herring is a bit odd. It's what happened.

MM has made several unforced changes to the team such as Mossop, Goulding and Feka and the first two certainly did nothing bad enough to get dropped in the usual negative sense that being dropped implies. It's clear MM is using his squad where he can and I think people need to get over the idea a player being "dropped" is some huge slight on them.

There is a big difference between being dropped and never seen again this season than being dropped and then getting back in the side later. The latter is better looked on as squad rotation. :wink:

I think we will see fairly regular in's and out's to and from the first 17 where we have several players genuinely vying for a particular position. We don't have that luxury in all positions but in some we do and given what we have seen so far I'd expect much more movement into and out of the first 17 than we saw under Noble.

Dave
Dave I suggest you ask your father to read tonights evening post interview with Mossop and then you can apologise :wink:

Rotation is a red herring. Always has been. The players are dropped because Madge thinks somebody else can do better. Those dropped are told why and what Madge wants them to improve. If they listen and do as he asks they might earn a recall.

Stop chasing red herrings Dave :roll: