Shenton

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Mr Stu

Shenton

Post by Mr Stu »

[url] http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby/view/1 ... -swap/[url]

bottom paragraph
Centre Michael Shenton is interesting Wigan, full-back Richie Owen will be on Huddersfield’s wanted list if skipper Brett Hodgsonretires and loose forward Joe ­Westerman may be poached by another Yorkshire club.

Do you think it will happen and do you think we need him?
cpwigan

Re: Shenton

Post by cpwigan »

Hard to say. How old is Shenton? We will need to replace Carmont and Gleeson in the next 4 years but are our young centres not better or will there be a better overseas centre available.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:Hard to say. How old is Shenton? We will need to replace Carmont and Gleeson in the next 4 years but are our young centres not better or will there be a better overseas centre available.
Shenton was born 22nd July 1986 - 24 years old on his next birthday.
A pretty decent young centre IMO.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

No better than Goulding, IMO, and further down the line we've got Marsh & Thornley. Don't think we need Shenton.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Good age though but we do have some quality young centre in house and who knows which overseas centres becamoe available in say 2 years time.
Jimlav

Post by Jimlav »

GeoffN wrote:No better than Goulding, IMO, and further down the line we've got Marsh & Thornley. Don't think we need Shenton.
In MM eyes i would suggest shenton is much better, mainly due to being far better in defence.

if it was a striaght choice between goulding and shenton i would take shenton every time. in a poor side shenton always stands up, put him in a good team and he could be a real special player. he has great physical assests, and with MM training would become a far better player. he would gain much more strength and size, and his play would benefit from the way we have been playing, adding the fast passing moves to his game which he doesnt really have the chance to show at cas.

in addition, with the way we use our wingers and centres to run the ball up on the first couple of tackles more than any other team, shenton would be a real assest.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

Jimlav wrote:
GeoffN wrote:No better than Goulding, IMO, and further down the line we've got Marsh & Thornley. Don't think we need Shenton.
In MM eyes i would suggest shenton is much better, mainly due to being far better in defence.
I wouldnt say that at all. Shentons defence is seen as the weakest part of his game and I have seen him have some poor games defensively. Goulding defence is much better than some give him credit for and I would say that his defence is as good, if not better, than other centres of the same age.
Jimlav wrote:if it was a striaght choice between goulding and shenton i would take shenton every time. in a poor side shenton always stands up, put him in a good team and he could be a real special player. he has great physical assests, and with MM training would become a far better player. he would gain much more strength and size, and his play would benefit from the way we have been playing, adding the fast passing moves to his game which he doesnt really have the chance to show at cas.

in addition, with the way we use our wingers and centres to run the ball up on the first couple of tackles more than any other team, shenton would be a real assest.
I would have Shenton but I wouldnt take him at the expense of Goulding as I think that he is no better. I have seen Goulding outplay Senior, Yeaman and Atkins who are all considered the top centres in England so he isnt exactly poor himself. In my opinion we should have signed Shenton when we signed Gleeson then had Goulding replace Carmont from next year.

I cant say that I have ever seen Shenton and thought that he looks particularly exceptional, although he obviously has potential. Also much of what you say in your post and can work both ways. Shenton has done well since he broke through but I think a lot of the reasons for this is precisely because he plays for Castleford. It can be easy for players to look very good in poor teams as they stand out more and look better in comparison to those around them. That doesnt always translate to them looking the same playing for bigger teams. If Shenton had been at Wigan, Leeds, Saints etc it is highly likely that he wouldnt be a regular centre now and would be in much the same boat as Goulding. I actually think that some of our younger players would excel in a similar way if they were at smaller teams as they have more of a chance to do so, Goulding himself showed that at Salford as did Mossop at Huddersfield.
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

sooner have chris bridge thanks.... and just maybe if madge has got a bit of pull at storm still..inglis please..

bridge is by far englands best center, attack is very good as is his defence, atkins is a show pony, best defending center is prob paul sykes but his attack leaves alot to be desired.

bridge is best center this country has by far,
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Im not bowled over by Bridge, i thought Yeaman was going to be the real deal but he's gone a bit off the boil, his defense is excellent but again is blighted by his poor attack.

Senior is still one of the best despite his age.

To be honest if i think goulding would give any of them a run for their money, all this rubbish about his defence it was flawless vs leeds and espcially how he dealt with the kicks
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Im not bowled over by Bridge, i thought Yeaman was going to be the real deal but he's gone a bit off the boil, his defense is excellent but again is blighted by his poor attack.

Senior is still one of the best despite his age.

To be honest if i think goulding would give any of them a run for their money, all this rubbish about his defence it was flawless vs leeds and espcially how he dealt with the kicks
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: