Wigan Warriors v Harlquins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrDave

Wigan Warriors v Harlquins

Post by MrDave »

Wigan gone home again at half time, someone needs to remind Wigan that matches last 80 minutes.
lawson91

Re: Wigan Warriors v Harlquins

Post by lawson91 »

Whats going wrong? I mean come on the salford win wasn't convincing? Sheffield put 34 past us and now we won the first half against harlequins 24-6 to lose the second half 32 points to 2 against bottom of the league. We have had a good start of the season but this couldbe the end of that.
mickh

Post by mickh »

Chose to do some overtime instead of going to the match, cannot believe what I am hearing on the radio 38-26
Second half 32pts to 2 against Wigan
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Sounded awful. 32 points shipped in second half.
Hope they are ashamed of themselves, in front of 18,000 Wigan fans and the troops.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
lawson91

Post by lawson91 »

Michael Maguire needs to do some thinking, because the last few performances for me against lesser teams have not been to the standard of a top super league team. lets hope we turn it round next game
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

If you ask some it's probably Ainscough's fault. :roll:
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
lawson91

Post by lawson91 »

The full team is to blame today, can't put it down to Ainscough that would not be fair. The injuries are costing us and we have some young and inexperienced players on the pitch. But we had enough depth to put this game to bed. But we have recently been awful, and i hope we pick up soon, yes it is one defeat but you have to look at our last 3 games to realise that we are not playing convincing rugby league.
pie eater and proud of it

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

Absolute shambles.

Looked knackered and generally woeful.

As for Ainscough, well I'm neither a fan nor a knocker, but he had a shocker in defence.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Bradford MK II

People have to realise that the present set of players are very vulnerable to disruption in personnel. Missing Goulding and Gleeson was huge. Defensively Ainscough and Bailey were all over the place. Bailey cannot play centre. He is leaden footed defending out wide. Dorn crucified him to start the comeback. When Quins started to run riot he was unable to make tackles preventing passes and offloads. Ainscough, I hope Dave O eats humble pie. First try David? You really need to learn. Wiganers know the background, the older brother. Dave you need to wake up. He was nigh on useless tonight. I am not sure he should have come sprinting in leaving his wing open for the chip that led to the try.

Johnny Walker, please. He is not a SL player. Rabbit in the headlights or running around like a headless chicken. It is no coincedence we shipped so many points after he came on. A mistake by the club / coaches. Tuson should have been recalled before Walker got anywhere near the first team.

The playmaking spine of the team becomes heavily dependent on Sam with no other halfback and we lose the tireless work of Lockers in defence when he is not at loose forward. Our hookers do not really playmake but both scooted well.Quins had 3 halfbacks playing v us and were rampant in the second half.

We need to learn how to kill opposition momentum especially when leading. We never slow the game / kill time. Kick for touch kill the game.

The pluses Liam Farrell showed some excellent touches and looks a proper player. Feka looked very promising. Far far better. Criminal lack of support on his long break. I thought he should have been back on sooner in the second half. Beyond those 2 players hard to say anybody else stood out.

I will criticise Madge and Waney. I think they erred on team selection. We are better with a halfback and allow Lockers to stay at loose forward. Lockers is the glue that holds this team together. His role at LF should never be under estimated. He is one of the players in the team that is true class.

Given the outstanding crowd the second half was a PR disaster. Nobody could have anticipated that second half after such a comfortable first half but as I say from the outset, Bradford MK II.

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Poor second half performance, yet again, though with 7 first-teamers out injured, and some apalling refereeing, I'm actually not all that disappointed. Credit Quins with some good rugby in that second half, though helped by our indifferent tackling and some ridiculous offloads. Thyey're a much better side now they've got most of their players back, as they showed against Saints a fortnight ago.

We really missed a scrum-half - Lockers is not a stand-off and that left all the creativity to Sam, who tried hard but isn't really an organiser. Either Deacs or Tommy would have made a massive difference.

Liam Farrell had an excellent game. Talking to some of the South standers on the way home and they're convinced he scored when adjudged to be held up. Ainscough played well, too, despite hardly getting the ball (not unexpected with Bails as centre) - some superb cover tackles to rescue Phelps, who again looked lost in defence on too many occasions.