Wigan need a halfback to go to the next level

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
northsbear

Wigan need a halfback to go to the next level

Post by northsbear »

After watching a good performance from wigan against the wolves on sunday night the difference between the sides was lee biers and his ability to control the match, this is something wigan have lacked have lacked for a very long time. I think this will hurt us this year in the long run.Finch's signing will help however and with tomkins attack and speed finch will need to be the link man and take on a more dominate role then the present half who lets face it is better suited to hooker !
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan need a halfback to go to the next level

Post by ancientnloyal »

I meantioned briefly in the match thread that what Wigan was lacking is a 'd*** head'. Briers, Sinfield, Long... how many times have we been to matches, close matches, and these guys (quite lawfully) annoyingly waste time by running backwards, opting for 2 points or get a drop goal. We dont have such a player I feel it isnt in Tomkins' mind set to do that sort of thing perhaps just yet. Just those little things that make a difference. We perhaps didnt have that opportunity against Wire but in the grand scheme of things...

I only see Finch on the occasional aussie highlights shows so I'm no expert... many on here are so hopefully he is a guy who has that bit extra
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

In actual fact I think the Wire game proved that Leuluai is no more suited to hooker than Feka is suited to Madge's idea of a good prop. He's had a great season as far as I'm concerned and has been one of our most consistent performers for a long time but as many have said on here when Piggy goes off, and Lulu moves to hooker we instantly lose any speed and fluency. With a strong half back pairing and some real muscle in the rest of the pack we can just about get away with Lulu at hooker but as soon as we start struggling for props our halfs start getting hammered whoever they are and a decent hooker becomes more crucial imo. With that in mind we may well be better having Piggy on with the 'weaker' props and Lulu at hooker at other times where possible. Either that or play with one of our stronger props on the bench?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Having re watched a couple of recent Storm games, I am concerened that Finch seems to play in a similar style to Sam, he is a player that goes to/through the line, but doesn't seem to be a kicker in general play. The Storm rely on Cameron Smith amd Cooper Cronk for their excellent kicking game, so this is something that needs adressing.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Finch can kick. He plays the role Melbourne require of him. At other clubs he played the role Cooper Cronk plays at the storm.

RE; Tommy Lu Lu. A very talented player but IMO he is the sort of player that provides coaches with nightmare. You know he has ability and is talented but he does not really fit a position perfectly. Is he a 7, is he a 9 or is he a maverick?
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

I think Finch is ideal, He'll give Tommy and Sam more freedom. I think that's what Madge had in mind with Deacon but it hasn't worked out.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

First of all we need a dominant front row, even the best halfbacks can't play behind a beaten pack!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
pedro

Post by pedro »

Our pack hasnt lost many this year, they may not be the biggest but have rarely been dominated.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

With the signings it is obvious though, that the coach felt that Wigan had won more games by luck (for want of a better word) rather than having a side with a controlling half and two big bustling/mobile forwards that have effectively carried out instructions/tactics as he would have expected.

This is not Maguire's team. He gave virtually everyone a chance to show what they were or were not capable of, either at Wigan or another club.

The signing of a scrum half and two overseas test forwards speaks volumes about Maguire's thoughts about the current players in their positions.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The front row could indeed be much stronger but IMO we have lost what we had early season. At the preswent time we are doing what every tam does. Make hard yards running one out, get close to the opp try line, 2nd man plays ad infinitum and cross field kicks on the last. Take a look at Wire away and how we had passing interchanges up the middle, we often passed wider early doors moved teams around, players tried chip kicks. It helped having Amos in such amazing form but we also cross field from out wide to between the posts on the last, we hit the crash ball forwards rather than just using them as a decoy. We just need to remember how we got our best form/wins.