Paul Deacon

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Paul Deacon

Post by cpwigan »

In the Wigan Observer, Madge says he wants him to play on in 2011.
TonyH

Re: Paul Deacon

Post by TonyH »

Presumably on the bench for when Tommy L goes to 9, looks like Sam will be appearing more regularly at Full back
Up The Mont!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

cherry.pie wrote:Still not convinced Sam at fullback is the right move in the long term. I think there's more chance of this club producing a quality fullback than another quality halfback, regardless of how highly rated Mellor is. I also think Tomkins is better at stand off anyway.
Me too but full back is the best attacking position on the park and Sam is probably our biggest attacking threat, the full back role in Australia is very different to the one played over here, you look at players like Slater and Minichello then look at players like Wellens and Briscoe totally different styles of full back so maybe Madge wants Sam to be more like an Aussie fullback.
Up The Mont!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think you may be reading too much into it. Deacon is a damn good back up in case somebody gets injured.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I thought he was great against Leeds. Really steered us around the pitch. He is improving (especially given the lack of game time) and whilst he's not the most dynamic player, he's got experience in spades and can chuck a pass or two.
We will at some point have injuries next year and he is the sort of player who can just step into a half back role. I've no problem with him playing next season.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Deacon for me is the rugby league equivalent of Beckham (minus the looks and marketablility). He is one of the guys who will always do a job for you, if you want a kcik tha 9 times out of 10 will fall in the wingers arms give it to deacon. I agree with CP, as long as he isn't drawing a huge wage he is a great backup player, a guy who has the big game experience and wont crumple under pressure.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
botica

Post by botica »

I thought he was amazing V Leeds and really bossed the play.

However how would that effect his contract, payscale etc. I thought it was structured to pay him extra when on staff to compensate him for the lower money as a player. His decision though and hope they can work something out x
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think this is excellent news. Assuming that we are letting go - Pryce, Feca, Bailey, Piggy and re-signing Fielden on a lower wage then in addition to Hoffman, Lima and Finch coming in I think we could do with a utility back and then we'll be well set to win something next year.
thomo

Post by thomo »

got to fit a part year Gaz Hock under the cap as well
if phelps and pryce go we need another back as back up
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thomo wrote:got to fit a part year Gaz Hock under the cap as well
if phelps and pryce go we need another back as back up
There is no such thing as a part year player under the salary cap. If we pay Hock £2000 a month his salary cap value is 12 x £2000, not (say) 6 x £2000. That is just the way it works.

Dave