This Sporting Life

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
LORENZO

This Sporting Life

Post by LORENZO »

No rugby on TV tonight - then watch Richard Harris in This Sporting Life. BBC4 10p.m.
From 1963 and part of Wakefield V Wigan game features.

GeoffN

Re: This Sporting Life

Post by GeoffN »

LORENZO wrote:No rugby on TV tonight - then watch Richard Harris in This Sporting Life. BBC4 10p.m.
From 1963 and part of Wakefield V Wigan game features.
Beltin' film! It's on Tuessday night too, as part of their RL night, with a documentary on Eddie Waring.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'd set my Sky+ for Tuesday. Didn't know it was on tonight as well till Lorenzo posted.

Looking forward to watching it again after all these years.

Was anyone else at CP the night they shot the crowd scenes for 'Fallen Hero'?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wow. Just watched Frank take out his own hooker in the scrum because he wouldn't pass him the ball.

That is exactly what Bill Ashurst did to Stevo when they both played for Penrith. Stevo hasn't spoken to Sash since then!
NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

A fantastic piece of early sixties kitchen sink drama and the definitive rugby film.
Lovers Come & Go But I Will Always Have My Wigan Rugby.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Quite a few faces in there who would become household names soon after. Doctor Who, Captain Mainwaring, Rigsby,.....!
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Thanks for reminding me that I'm getting old! I was now't but a kid when it was shown first time around.Cracking film all the same.I could not watch it last night due to the wife's tv schedule.Thanks to Lorenzo I will be able to Sky+ it. :D
mickh

Post by mickh »

I'm sure I was there Kitwasser, Was there for one filming anyway, stood in the Douglas side watching the moves transpire on the pitch! Don't remember the crowd being shown on the film though, just there for the noise?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I remember the evening well. Yes, the crowd was all asked to squeeze into a section of the Douglas Stand. Eddie Yates was the 'compere' telling us what to do. They needed a cheering scene and he asked us to imagine we had just won at Wembley (fat chance in those days!). He was never satisfied and kept asking us to do it again until one bunch of lads piped up with “EDDIE IS A W*****!", which, ironically, got the biggest cheer of the night!

The star of the series was a guy called Del Henney who couldn't take a pass if his life depended on it! :lol:

As reward for our efforts, we were treated to an exhibition game between Wigan v Wigan 'A', which was a decision even more stupid than the Milwaukee fiasco. Colin Clark deliberately targeted his opposite number, Geoff Aspinall, who came off and played again. Career over!

That game also gave Dennis Boyd his Wigan debut following his return from Leigh!