Fielden

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Fielden

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Yes i know its old news that Fielden has signed a two year deal.

I just wish they would have let him go and find (I know its not easy) a new prop who had some agression in him, someone who would fire back at someone who showed agression towards our players, someone who was feared.

And someone who could break a tackle.

Just a good job we still have Coley on board, thats a big plus for us next term

x Wigan Warrior x

Re: Fielden

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

now were is that emoticon im looking for ......
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

x Wigan Warrior x wrote:now were is that emoticon im looking for ......
lol, now would be a perfect time to use it!.

As the season has progressed and we have remained at the top of the league, I have often wondered where Wigan Watcher, and some of the other posters, had been all season, after all we have got no pack (I admit they aren't the best in the league) and we'll win nothing at all with that squad, we'll be lucky to finish in the top 5. If I had the time and could be bothered, I'd dig out some of the quotes from before the season started.
I know a lot of people have been made to eat their own words, but there are some fans who went over the top in their criticism of players and, for some reason known only to them, either couldn't see or failed to see any sort of potential in the respective players.

Wigan through and through

Post by Wigan through and through »

I agree i think wigan need a prop who can give it out to the likes off ryan bailey and keith mason we need a prop who people don't wanna to run at and who can stick up 4 sam when other players tryin take him out in imo dnt think fielden or coley come to think about it are like that. But who could we get any opinions ?????
mark webster?

Post by mark webster? »

So you want a vastly overrated prop that's a total thug?

Sam can stand up for himself, Joel's there anyway, even if Joel isn't there, everyone else will stand up for him.

Just a note, Fielden vs Keith Mason this season, Fielden battered him. Did you not see that?

Fielden does so much defensive work compared to other props. Take not before coming out with outlandish comments.
Can't whack a good pint.
Wigan through and through

Post by Wigan through and through »

Yeah i saw it and he did stick up 4 himself against keith mason first time in how long he does do alot in wrk in defence but that it in attack other teams always pick him out thats why im sayin we need a prop that people goin think twice tacklin and runnin at thata all i meant by it
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Wigan through and through wrote:I agree i think wigan need a prop who can give it out to the likes off ryan bailey and keith mason we need a prop who people don't wanna to run at and who can stick up 4 sam when other players tryin take him out in imo dnt think fielden or coley come to think about it are like that. But who could we get any opinions ?????
Fielden was more than happy to have a go at mason last time out and no-one seems particularly afraid of Bailey either. If sean long laughs at you when you try and headbutt him then you clearly aren't very intimidating!

Fielden may not be back to his best; however this season has been his best at Wigan. He has outplayed a lot of other big name props - Carvell being the most obvious example.

Unfortunately, some people will never forget the willie mason episode and regardless of how he plays, will consider Fielden "gutless". For someone to come back after being publicly humiliated on the international stage takes a hell of lot more guts than standing on the ankle of a tackled player and then hiding behind your team mate. The fact that he is prepared to get involved in wing dings with the likes of mason, shows firstly that he is not afraid and secondly that mason is not that frightening!

As for looking after Sam - we have more than enough players who will do that. His brother was more than happy to have a go at ablett and previously George dissuaded king from having a go. Also we have Lima coming next year who Storm fans have described as a battering ram on legs!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I was his biggest critic but Fielden and RIddell are two players who IMO have turned their fortunes around and I am happy to say it. I am glad Fielden has signed a new contract.

One of the main reasons I am glad is that too many changes in one go can really harm a team. We have 3 new players coming next season. A 4th is you count Hock and some leaving. That IMO is enough.

Whatsmore, I do not see too many props around that I think would be available. I would love Wigan to sign Shillington but that is totally unrealistic.
mark webster?

Post by mark webster? »

Yeah, they pick him out in attack, thus us using him as a dummy runner and creating tries. Watch the amount of yards he makes when he comes back onto the pitch.

He's played 30mins plus and he's really fresh, therefore he wears defences down, just like our pack. He'll sap player's energy, by working them on the ground.

If you watch the smaller parts of the game, it shows how clinical someone like Fielden is. He doesn't deserve knocking at all. Apart from when he throws daft offloads :lol:
Can't whack a good pint.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Sutty wrote:
x Wigan Warrior x wrote:now were is that emoticon im looking for ......
lol, now would be a perfect time to use it!.

As the season has progressed and we have remained at the top of the league, I have often wondered where Wigan Watcher, and some of the other posters, had been all season, after all we have got no pack (I admit they aren't the best in the league) and we'll win nothing at all with that squad, we'll be lucky to finish in the top 5. If I had the time and could be bothered, I'd dig out some of the quotes from before the season started.
I know a lot of people have been made to eat their own words, but there are some fans who went over the top in their criticism of players and, for some reason known only to them, either couldn't see or failed to see any sort of potential in the respective players.
Before the season got started, I had us down for an 8th place finish.
I must eat my words on this, however I still feel that there are much better props out there than Stuart Fielden and personally I would rather keep Feka, but that is my opinion.
IMO Stuart will be caught out again if we reach the stage of facing Warrington in the play offs. I dont think he has the mental strength to face up to intimidating blokes like Morley, Carvell & Peackock. He was put off his game big style against Wire at home a few weeks ago, and IMO it will happen again.