Wigan v Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Wigan v Hull KR

Post by ancientnloyal »

Had no internet all week, was working tonight but got to see the second half.

Leaves us with Saints or Leeds away.

Better performance tonight but what I did see was Leuluai's kicking again was off-par! This vastly needs to improve as we're going to be short of kicking options now Deacs is out and Sam possibly staying at FB!

Hull KR fans throwing cigarette (cancer stick) lighters onto the pitch - what silverwood gave to the stewardess.

Anyone fill me in on the match overall? only saw bits of second half wife made me sort out this new router.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Re: Wigan v Hull KR

Post by cpwigan »

Much better effort lots of respects. Generally the defence was tight and solid with KR getting two tries from kicks and a freakish but good effort from Fox.

KR make the most of what they have which is very little in reality. They do not capitulate v anybody but we looked like we could score at will out wide.

Discipline was much improved. Both teams conceded lots of penalties but ours were not due to stupidity. Mr Silverwood had a fetish for markers being squar and I would guess 50% of the penalties we conceded were for that.

Prescott had a much better game and Feka made a big difference. 4 props etc. Riddell had a super game. Shame his legs won't let him play the full 80. Joel Tomkins did very well and even better he took a player on the outside. Joel is too good a player to just crash and bash, he needs to go on the outside for the gap more. Based on the result you could argue Lockers at 6 worked. Personally, I hate it and like him at 13 with 2 halfbacks. Pat kicked well.

The biggest weakness was the sets when Riddell was off had less go forward and were often followed by a mediocre kick. Hopefully Mickey Mac will run more from dummy half etc now he's getting fitter. Hansen will be better too re fitness.

I think playing this week was the best thing for us. A week off would have been a disadvantage. I would have liked to have seen Amos play though just to see what he could do, how he could make the team better or worse.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

I thought Fielden and Farrell were really impressive in the forwards today, no one had a bad game but there were still a few silly errors and silly penalties that cost Wigan points.

Wigan's whole kicking game really needs to improve, gifting the opposition possession and field position so easily will only lead to teams like Saints and Leeds scoring easy points.

There is still a lot of improvement needed, Hull KR are good but not as good as Leeds or Saints.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

MrDave wrote:

There is still a lot of improvement needed, Hull KR are good but not as good as Leeds or Saints.
I bet Hull KR haven't played better in many games this season though!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Based on the result you could argue Lockers at 6 worked. Personally, I hate it and like him at 13 with 2 halfbacks.

I am sure someone will but while he did nothing wrong at 6 not much came from there and I don't think he kicked on the last tackle all match. It's clearly a compromise and against HKR we had enough to beat them easily in the end but I don't think this will work v Leeds or Saints.
The biggest weakness was the sets when Riddell was off had less go forward and were often followed by a mediocre kick. Hopefully Mickey Mac will run more from dummy half etc now he's getting fitter.
I thought Mick Mac looked a lot better this week than last but Riddell possible played the best I have seen him play.
I think playing this week was the best thing for us. A week off would have been a disadvantage. I would have liked to have seen Amos play though just to see what he could do, how he could make the team better or worse.
I agree I think that game will have helped Micky Mac and Hansen. Agree about Roberts as well because it looks like Sam is now our full back. Bad move in my opinion.

As to the match the game was up for HKR when they could not score after repeated sets in the 2nd half and we went up the other end and scored the first time we got out of our own half after being penned in.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I cannot believe the nonsense Mickey Mac receives on RLfans Dave. Our own Medlocke (Baked Bean Boogie) is right at home amongst that mob. How old is Mickey Mac? 21? 22? He is on the upward curve in terms of development and has 3 to 4 years of improvement / development. If he was the finished article now then he would be a freak. JonH showed he knows less than he thinks. Out of a list of overseas hooker he picked Priddis who is well known but ignore McCullough of the Broncos.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I can't believe that Feka gave away a penalty in this game... :(

Thats four this season :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote:I can't believe that Feka gave away a penalty in this game... :(

He's always been a bit of a liability! :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Kittwazzer wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I can't believe that Feka gave away a penalty in this game... :(

He's always been a bit of a liability! :D
:lol: :lol: :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Salsa Caliente

Post by Salsa Caliente »

MrDave wrote:I thought Fielden and Farrell were really impressive in the forwards today, no one had a bad game but there were still a few silly errors and silly penalties that cost Wigan points.

Wigan's whole kicking game really needs to improve, gifting the opposition possession and field position so easily will only lead to teams like Saints and Leeds scoring easy points.

Agreed. You could definitely tell the difference when Riddell, Coley and Fielden were off the pitch.

It was great to see Feka back and Prescott put in a good performance, but seemed not to have the same direction without the "Engine Room" on the pitch.

Also agree about the kicking game. Whilst it was okay last night, it's going to need to be better against Saints or Leeds.