Game plan against Saints?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
weststand-rich

Game plan against Saints?

Post by weststand-rich »

I think we can win on Saturday. Their pack is slightly better than ours in terms of physicality, our backs are a country mile better. My view is:

- We pray for good clear weather. The big games we've lost this year have tended to be slug-fests in greasy conditions. When we lost to Wire it became a pack trudge and they had the slight advantage. If we handle the ball, we're the better side.

- Shut down their scoots from dummy half. Saints are at their most dangerous when they get a roll on from quick play the balls. We should compress the defence slightly and revert to our early season ruck domination.

- We seem to be at our weakest ebb going forward when both Fielden and Coley are off the field and seem to rely a bit more on the back 3 driving the ball up to provide respite in match minutes 26-40. I would start with Fielden and Precott, bring Coley on for Prescott and then replace Fielden with Feka when we have go forward momentum.

- Richard vs Meli. There is only one that ball should go. Catch this Meli.
x Wigan Warrior x

Re: Game plan against Saints?

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

The worry I always have with saints is that they seem to be able to score when they need to ….. like before half time, or when they are on the rack. We will need to be 100% minds on the job if and when we go in front to stop this.
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

The squad, in my view, is less important than the tactics we employ. Having watched Saints over the last few weeks, I am of the belief that they lack pace especially if Eastmond, Pryce and Gardner don't play. Most of their tries are now scored from close range - the game against Huddersfield being a fine example. It is therefore important (especially if it rains) that we play as much of the game in the Saints half as possible. It follows that we need to avoid giving needless penalties away and that our kicking game needs to be good - I would advocate kicking early in the tackle count to gain good field position. Saints will struggle to bring the ball downfield if we tackle like last week and if they turn the ball over we will score tries.

I am convinced that if we play well then we will win
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Probably tempting fate but I feel more confident about Saturday than either of the last 2. The way we tonked Hull KR then nilled (IMO!)Leeds on their own middin tells me we have peaked at the right time.

Add to this comments on RedVee that they wanted Leeds to win last Saturday because they would be easier to beat than Wigan in the Final.

Don't ask. I didn't understand the logic either! :lol:
onedego

Post by onedego »

Game plan is simple... Play it easy, play to win, and god damn WIN!
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

As always Wigan just need to play sensible rugby, no silly error/penalties and take their chances when they arise.

Personally I think current forward situation works well, when you look at in terms of defence Prescott and Fielden are usually the best defenders so having them on the pitch together means the two worst defensive props Coley and Feka will be on at the same time weakening the defence.
Joanne2809

Post by Joanne2809 »

Far toooooo excited to even think about game plan.......like someone has said, JUST SMASH EM !!!!!! Whaaaaaa :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
MiThor

Post by MiThor »

GAME PLAN

HAMMER STAINS
TAKE TROPHY
GO HOME
SIMPLES
Frazzle

Post by Frazzle »

Smash the living sh*t out of the sc*mbag KFC. :lol:
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

MrDave wrote:As always Wigan just need to play sensible rugby, no silly error/penalties and take their chances when they arise.

Personally I think current forward situation works well, when you look at in terms of defence Prescott and Fielden are usually the best defenders so having them on the pitch together means the two worst defensive props Coley and Feka will be on at the same time weakening the defence.
What's your basis on Coley being one of our worse defensive props?
Ave tackle count is 24.9 per game against Fielden 24.2
Missed tackles ave 1, Stu 0.7

offensively,Stu has had a much stronger season with Stu averaging 101 metres per game against 91and Andy's pen count is higher.
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered