Abuse Of Referees

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Abuse Of Referees

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Like them or hate them, the game could not function without the match officials and my view is that they should be getting more respect from the players. Over the past few weeks they have been subject to abuse, arguements and general intimidation.This behaviour has no place in our great game and should be eradicated immediately before we end up on the same slippery slope as football. The RFL need to take action by ordering officials to dismiss players who participate in such behaviour.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
botica

Re: Abuse Of Referees

Post by botica »

I agree totally and i have asked Mr Cummings as to what has happened to the disent rule and why more is not done to stop this behaviour. At one time you would see footy players kick off in the face of the ref and say, if that was rugby he would be off.. Not anymore he won't... Or unless you are Sam of course...
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
Fan 4 a year

Post by Fan 4 a year »

Worse offender by a mile James Graham he should have had a nice spell in the bin for gobbing off like he did :sly: :angry: if it is allowed to go then it will get worse, then it becomes the norm ! not on
HGWarrior

Post by HGWarrior »

Don't know if it should be a sending off , but I remember in the past, if the player carried on, they would be marched back another ten, and then another. This doesn't seem to haapen now. In the Wigan v Leeds play off match, Alibert should have marched them back at least ten because if they said it once they said it a dozen times(Sinfield in particular) that the penalty should have been where the filthy, cheatin, scumbag McGuire pulled on George's shirt and not where Pat had been bundled into touch. That the case, Pat would have been in a better position to score.

That said - CHAMPIONIS, CHAMPIONIS
The future's bright

The future's Cherry & White!!!!!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Hock got sent off for just tugging at Ian Smiths shirt,to bringing to his attention his mistake-where's the justice?
arthurb's first

Post by arthurb's first »

Totaly agree the abuse is getting out of control,the use of 10yds should be used first and yellow card if it repeats. But when you consider that in all the GF's no one has been yellow or red carded (is this for the TV?) it makes it open season.
One good thing came from this unpenalised abuse was that it pi---ed Graham off as he never hit the line after that, he only tackled half heartedly,and just passed the ball behind his back..But it does need stamping out .. remenber Ganson with Sam he would have sorted it,as biased as he is he is the stricktest ref.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

To be fair if you look at football's abuse of ref's and then our game i'm glad we aren't as bad as the stereotypical 'Rooney' abuse at ref's. I think Silverwood was right to keep the lads on the pitch (even though I was shouting 'off!' and pointing to the tunnel every time) and in RL overall the refs have a lot of respect I feel. If you gas then you're punished. Sometimes in grand finals and key matches the ref should let a bit of common sense creep in (ie on saturday no sin binning) the game was lost.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I strongly believe the offender should be marched back 10 mtrs.I agree re sin-binning but at the moment nothing is being done to deter players from abusing the officials.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

The Ref should march them back ten for dissent but persistant offenders should be given ten minutes in the bin. It really annoys me that kids watch these players effing and blinding at the Refs and not being punished, even questioning every decision like Sinfield does is not good for the game. I watch a lot of junior RL and you can see it creeping into the game and it needs stamping out ASAP before we end up like football, but quite honestly I cannot see Mr Cummings doing anything about it because he is as far as I can see USELESS!!!!!
ian b

Post by ian b »

platt-warrior wrote:I strongly believe the offender should be marched back 10 mtrs.I agree re sin-binning but at the moment nothing is being done to deter players from abusing the officials.
they used to march you back 10 metres