New flags for next season!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

New flags for next season!

Post by GeoffN »

As some of you already know, I'm involved (in a very minor way!) with the Unofficial Flag Team that have been happily decorating the South Stand this year. The flag team is moving along to bigger and better things for next season, and to help that we're holding a fund-raising "do".
Saturday 20th November
Venue - Spring View Cricket Club,Warrington Road, Spring View
Time - 7-45pm Till Late (The actual words were "If you keep drinking, we'll keep serving!")
Tickets - £3 Adults & £2 Kids (Which includes a Free Curry/Lasagne & Hot Dogs for Kids)

On the evening as well as a Disco and Food there will also be a number of Rugby related events going on inc :-

Raffles & Stand up Bingo -Win Wigan RL Related prizes
Auction of Wigan Players Match Worn Merchandise (Inc Shorts/socks Worn by players such as Stuart Fielden/Andy Coley/Joel Tomkins/Sam T in the Grand Final!)
Auction of Players Shirts - Signed by players such as Mark "Piggy" Riddell
RL Quiz - Prizes to the Winners Adult & Junior
Wigan RL Games on DVD Throughout the Evening
Wigan RL Ultra's Merchandise - Your chance to be one of the 1st x 100 to own a Limited edition "Ultra's Pin Badge".

&
The Main Attraction

"The Engage Super League Trophy" - Your chance to have your photo taken with Trophy We've all waited so Long to get our hands on!

Now the event is obviously a fund raiser for the Wigan Flag Fund so we hope to make a little but of money on the evening through the Raffles & Auctions but rest easy we won't be Plundering your pockets too deep unless you Really want to splash out on the Auction.
All Events, Raffle/Bingo/Quiz Will only be around the £1 a Ticket Mark and the Badges will be on sale at around £3 each.
The opportunity to have your Picture taken with the Trophy will cost around £3 per 7x5 photo and the Pictures will be Printed on the Evening for you to Take Home (Other sizes may be available & Group Photos for a Small extra charge).
There very well may be other attractions on the evening and will be announced in due course as well as the unveiling of some of the New Flags for Next season.
Anyone wanting tickets, post on here or PM me. Should be a beltin' do!
jackoh

Re: New flags for next season!

Post by jackoh »

WE`re going Geoff , I part sponsored the WE ARE
WIGAN flag at Old Trafford .

I`ve also just had made a new one made which says I AM WIGAN TIL I DIE , it`s awesome .

I know there are plans to deck out the west side of the ground with our flags .

There isn`t a rugby club in the country that can match us .

So if anyone can assist in the sponsoring of these flags , it would help us to purchase more or our own WIGAN flags .
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

How about putting something on the concrete stadia posts that hold the stands. The South and North have lots of bare concrete bar the DW signs. Lote of scope and they could be left permanently up saving the flag errectors time/effort.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:How about putting something on the concrete stadia posts that hold the stands. The South and North have lots of bare concrete bar the DW signs. Lote of scope and they could be left permanently up saving the flag errectors time/effort.
It's been discussed, but difficult to attach anything there. Nothing can be left up during the football season (for some reason, dunno why...). Lots of other plans in the pipeline - possibly some big ones for waving, and as jackoh says, the West stand is next.

If you noticed the long "We are wigan" one at the back of the Old Trafford East stand, that's ours too, and will probably be the centrepiece of the South Stand display next year.

I should mention that Simon Collinson has been a massive supporter of our efforts, and we couldn't have done anything like as much without his help and support (including letting us borrow the SL trophy for the fundraising do!).
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why the West Stand??? Why not the Boston Stand?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I am guessing it is easier to hang flags from the gantry that runs alongside the top of the West Stand ?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

josie andrews wrote:Why the West Stand??? Why not the Boston Stand?
As cp says, nowhere to hang them from in the East.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Oh, okay thanks for the explanation:)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
joeb

Post by joeb »

needs life in west stand first :lol:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Have runners. When Wigan score 2 people run in front of boston stand from each end holding giant flags and overlap in middle. Bolton wanderers used do it (but i think they were ill people)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame