Gleeson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
phil.freda

Gleeson

Post by phil.freda »

Wigan Warriors Press Release
Departure from Wigan of Martin Gleeson

Following a difficult recent period including injuries, a minor disciplinary offence and a serious distraction in his personal life in which he was the victim - all of which have made it impossible for him to focus properly on his career to the extent required by both Club and Player - Martin Gleeson has left Wigan with immediate effect.

He will take a break to refocus before deciding on his future career direction.

Martin stated:

"I am very proud to have represented my Hometown Club and am most grateful to the Club Management and, in particular, Ian Lenagan for the support given to me over this difficult period."

The Wigan Club and the Player will be making no further comment on this matter.
Kittwazzer

Re: Gleeson

Post by Kittwazzer »

Time to draw a line under this and move on.

I wish him well for the future and hope he can finally sort out his demons. And I'll always be grateful to him for his part in the Grand Final. #fantasticdisplay
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

So he's finally gone. so now its offical what does everyone feel. im a little sad reading that statement after re-watching his effort in the grand final but the club has made the right choice and i support that 100%.
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

I am also a little saddened after reading the statement. I would like to thank Martin for his efforts in the grand final, and wish him well in the future.

On another note I feel a little let down, that we are a decent experienced down. Does his money still count on the salary cap for the year? Or are we going to see a new face? If so I hope its sooner rather than later
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Information a bit sparse from both sides. To be expected. Will we ever find out what went on or am I the only person who still doesn't know?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

bill.inger wrote:Information a bit sparse from both sides. To be expected. Will we ever find out what went on or am I the only person who still doesn't know?
I think you must be Bill. Maybe juanpablo could put you in the picture? :lol:
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Shame to see him go, he was always an excellent player who probably never really played to his potential.

He seemed a much more focused player after his move to Wigan and the end of the last season he showed he was still a quality player especially in the Grand Final. He had an awareness and understanding of the game not many other centres had.

If he is unable to give 100% to the club for what ever reason then it is time for him to move on, all the best to him where ever he ends up.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wigan will be better off rid in the long run. Gleeson will be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life.

Increasingly, I have reached a conclusion that the lack of playing talent available has meant a clique of often rather stupid people wielding far too much power and influence across the game. As these players age / retire they become a cancer in the game causing trouble / undermining clubs / coaches. Hence why young players / tough coaches works so well and this clique are one of the reasons why we fail internationally.
RJ

Post by RJ »

I thought he did a great job for us last seeason. Shame he couldn't put his demons aside but you can't retain disruptive elements if you want to succeed.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Still probably the best English centre in the game.
He has already been greatly missed by the team, and will continue to be.
Experience cannot be coached.
Hope he sorts out whatever problems he may have and can continue in the game.
A great loss to the team.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09