Pat Richards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Pat Richards

Post by josie andrews »

In this mornings "Evening Post", it states Pat has spoken about a new deal with the club, but, he is concentrating on his 'footy' at the moment! And doesn't want any distractions by thoughts of his long term future for the time being!

He is in his sixth season at Wigan.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cherrywarrior

Re: Pat Richards

Post by cherrywarrior »

We desperately need Paddy to stay, I would be gutted if he left after this season!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
BriH

Post by BriH »

One of the best overseas players we have had.
Hope him and Wigan can work out something.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Richards focused on here and now

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... _1_3328451

Full story
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

PAT Richards is delaying talks over his future to devote his full attention to reclaiming his golden form.

Out of contract at the end of this season, the 29-year-old has spoken to the Warriors about extending his stay at the DW Stadium. But he does not want to be distracted by thoughts of his long-term future for the time being.

He said: “I’ve spoken to the club (about a new deal) but I’m just concentrating on my footy at the moment.

Rugby union outfit Sale Sharks have already declared an interest in the goal-kicking winger and there would be plenty of other clubs, in both codes, interested in his services.

Is Pats delay in making his decision solely due to it being a genuine distraction to how he plays, or is he just vying for time to see which best offers come along.
If the offer from Sale Sharks of 4 times his current salary at Wigan is genuine, then we wont see Pat in Cherry & White next season.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Probably too much to ask but it is amazing in this day and age that an overseas player could nearly stay long enough to earn a testimonial.

Hence, my suggestion that an overseas player staying for 5, 6, 7, 8+ years gets a testimonial which encourages them to stay longer etc.
Panchitta Marra

cpwigan wrote:Probably too much to ask but it is amazing in this day and age that an overseas player could nearly stay long enough to earn a testimonial.

Hence, my suggestion that an overseas player staying for 5, 6, 7, 8+ years gets a testimonial which encourages them to stay longer etc.
Thats a genuine shout CP, one I would definitely agree with.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It may be a way of creating more loyalty, boosting salaries. Perhaps even the British player testimonial requirement should be lowered to 8 years? 6 for overseas, 8 for non overseas?
Panchitta Marra

cpwigan wrote:It may be a way of creating more loyalty, boosting salaries. Perhaps even the British player testimonial requirement should be lowered to 8 years? 6 for overseas, 8 for non overseas?
For genuine loyal players, why not.
The employment as a professional Rugby League player is a short enough one as it is.
This would be a nice little added incentive for loyalty shown by the player to the club
By honouring it the club sends a message out to players that it genuinely respects their loyalty.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Good call CP. We all understand that their career in a high impact contact sport is all too short and they have to do the best for their family and themselves as they can but he would be a HUGE loss to us but I could not do anything other than wish him well in whatever he decides, he owes us nothing but we owe him a great deal.

This statement of concentrating on his play and form does smack of a remark along the lines of the famous (or should that be infamous) no comments we have grown used to lately
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.