Gaz Hock is back v Hudds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Gaz Hock is back v Hudds

Post by cpwigan »

Trust me :wink:
butt monkey

Re: Gaz Hock is back v Hudds

Post by butt monkey »

From the Wigan v saints thread
butt monkey wrote:Ridiculous comments re Hock. He may be fit, but he is not match fit and not played a game of rugby at any level for 2 years and some want him to walk straight into the 17 man squad!

It would be a stupid gamble all round that more than could blow up in the club's face, damn marketing value. Wigan would get more bums on seats when he is ready against a side that would be considered a poorer draw.
I stand by that
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

The only way Hock is going to get back into playing at Super League level is by playing Super League level. Hock has been training for two years for his come back so I have no doubt he is good physical shape and the talent he has would not have gone away.

Wigan should be able to beat Huddersfield without Hock anyway, the return of Hock is a bonus for Wigan. Wigan just need to keep playing like they did against Saints and let Huddersfield worry about Hock :D
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

butt monkey wrote:From the Wigan v saints thread
butt monkey wrote:Ridiculous comments re Hock. He may be fit, but he is not match fit and not played a game of rugby at any level for 2 years and some want him to walk straight into the 17 man squad!

It would be a stupid gamble all round that more than could blow up in the club's face, damn marketing value. Wigan would get more bums on seats when he is ready against a side that would be considered a poorer draw.
I stand by that
Can understand your reasoning butt monkey a solid post. Though you could look at it from another angle re Hock. A couple of good solid months training with the lads and getting to know how the team think plus two years frustration and the need to prove himself both to MM and we the fans could be a bonus.I'm sure Madge will have considered all the options though I expect and want him to play as it will be my first game for a few weeks. As ou quite rightly point out it could blow up in the clubs face. Let's just hope not! :D
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Hock is actually fitter / stronger now than when he left the game previously. He is not match hardened but he will be on the bench and probably only play 20 minutes. According to Madge he has been fantastic in training and is one of the reason the other forwards are training / playing hard.
Maguire reckons the pending return of Gareth Hock should ratchet up the performance levels another notch.

Hock is back in the frame next week after a two-year doping ban and, if as expected he is thrust straight back into the spotlight, one of the current stars will have to miss out.

Maguire prides himself on picking his teams on form, making the televised blockbuster at Widnes’ Stobart Stadium this evening the last chance for players to tighten their grip on first-team spots.

He said: “It’s going to be a great headache next week when Gaz is back.

“All the players know he’s doing everything he can, he’s doing great at training and he’s really busting to play a game again.

“He’s been training at both prop and second-row, he’s very capable of both, so that’s going to really give some good competition.”
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

If the other forwards display last night is down to Hock pushing for his place in the first team, then we are in a great position. What better way to have the squad than have people having to play out there skin to keep in the team and having everyone at a level where you would struggle to pick the team. We still have fielden & o'carrol to come back as well yet. Bit of a nightmare for MM but good for us and the team
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fielden coming back too. Farrell out the 17, wanting back in. Pressure for places is the best incentive any player can have!!!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Hock has got a score or two to settle on Saturday. He is raring to go.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

I read a quote on facebook that said the Hock situation was "Like keeping a rottwiler in a cage, feeding it on raw meat for two years then letting it loose."
I think that is a reasonable comparison.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
StarAndy

Post by StarAndy »

With all these players fighting for position it does give MM a problem but what a problem to have i cant imagine him complaining about it. :badg: