Oh well ...nevermind

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
LiL_WaRrIoR

Oh well ...nevermind

Post by LiL_WaRrIoR »

i've just been watching the GB and australia match and what can i say!! our kicking was poor and we should not have been 38 points down at half time!! we've played well during the tri nations and i'm glad we got to the final!! Better Luck next time

but well done to all the great britain team for there superb performences this tri-nations tournament :cool:
Wigan till i die!
Cleveland Pieman

Re: Oh well ...nevermind

Post by Cleveland Pieman »

were not good enough to compete in the first half. too many mistakes, aussies too strong.

Not that I would have said this a few months ago, but didn't he do well... Gleeson i mean. Did not know he could play so well, must be tears in the Saints eyes now..
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

What happened to GB? That was a serious comment too not being smart. I haven't seen the game yet, still waiting on a replay but i've seen the score. I was quite surprised because i really thought GB could win it. Was the referee bad or something or just outplayed?
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

At the end of the day, we all knew the Auusies could put in a performance like that, they did all the basics right and at times their attacking play was out of this world. Even on our best day we cannot offer the same style of attacking rugby that the Aussies offered up in that first half. We where outplayed and outclassed in that first half. I am not all doom and gloom though, we have moved forward alot over the past 2 seasons, and we shall continue to move forward with the players we have. If we put our first choice 17 players into NRL sides and they got used to the intensity at which the Ausralians play week in and week out, then we would probably be even closer to them than what we are now. We are getting there, but we are not there yet, but like I said we are moving in the right direction and making all the right steps to get there. I for one am very proud of the effort and commitment shown by every single player who has pulled on a jersey for G.B in the Tri-Nations, it will be a sad day if the decison is made that it wont be played next year.

Well roll on next season and lets get back to cheering our boys on now.
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

After being 38-0 down at half time, only losing 44-4 is quite good, they should claim it as a moral victory.
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

That's not a bad effort for it to only be 44-4 if it was 38-0 at half time. Sounds like the second half was a lot more of a competition. Even with that final result i think GB did enough to prove that they are on the way up. Surely they'd have to keep the tri-nations going. If they don't i think they're going to have to answer to a lot of angry people.
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

i think chrisA pointed it out best.. the aussies did the basics right.. we didn`t.. i dunno if it was the big game mentality or what.. but our guys didn`t show up first half...

dissapointed really.. but we were outmanned and outclassed for the first 40... oh well... roll on next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

UP until the final we played well the first half was pathetic they made us look like amatuers. THe 2nd was better the fact we never let them score 1 in the 2nd half was positive. Shame about the performance we put in. We didnt have a kicking game at all. But well done to the team for everything we put in to get there
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

It was lost up front, really, as well as the kicking game (which has been a problem throughout the competition). Morley, Fielden and Peacock have had a good series up to then, but were totally outplayed. Wellens was exposed yet again with his poor positioning and lack of pace. The three-quarters played well considering the lack of decent ball, Gleeson & Carney especially.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I think any one who tries to gather comfort from the second half being only 6-4 to Oz is deluding themselves.
As Farrell was lining up his missed conversion the Aussies behind the goal were clubbed together and were livid. I think that from then on they switched from attack mode to defence, determined that GB would not score again, the second half defence was as good as the first half attacking, I was talking to John Atkinson this morning the ex Leeds/GB winger from the 1960/70's who lives across the road from me and he said that the first half was the best exhibition of RL he had seen in 25 years, and this from a man who has 4 championship winning medals and was in the last team to win a series against OZ. :blush:
PS and to think before the match I was convinced that since the 64-10 nightmare in Oz the Aussies have deliberately kept every game tight so as not to embarrass British rugby league.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.