Sam the man

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TonyH

Sam the man

Post by TonyH »

All the booing and disgraceful abuse and now they're getting they're all turding themselves about his little 2 fingered gesture, bunch of hypocritical b ends.
Up The Mont!
OJ

Re: Sam the man

Post by OJ »

You're dead right Tony. Maybe he shouldn't have done it, I have to say it wasn't the cleverest thing he has ever done but it was a heat of the moment thing and it isn't exactly the hanging offence some opposition fans are making out. Where did all these sanctimonious paragons of virtue who have never sworn or made a similar gesture in their lives, go to church every Sunday always give to charity and are good to their mothers - come from? Suppose we should be grateful that all they can find to worry about today is Sam with his Churchillian salute to the Leeds fans who have abused him rotten and some refereeing decisions that have upset some folks, anyone had think there have never been decisions that went against Wigan.

Ooops, just noticed this http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... ml&BID=480
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

San shouldn't have done it but I've seen it happen more than once by other teams players including a game last year against Leeds with no action taken x if Sam is banned I'd be happy to see Amos given a game, he has a good record against Warrington
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Did this actually happen?
According to Wish FM, the first that Sam knew about it was when a reporter asked him about it!

BTW, only just got home and darent put the match on till I get up tomorrow! :)
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Wally Lewis, the former Australia and Queensland captain, has urged Sam Tomkins to ignore the way in which he has been treated by English crowds in the last couple of weeks, and instead remind crowds of his quality as a player.

Lewis himself experienced the derision of ‘home’ fans when captaining the Kangaroos for the first time in 1984. With his first Test as skipper played while a feisty State of Origin was still fresh in the crowd’s memory, Lewis, a Queensland stalwart, was jeered by New South Wales fans in Sydney.

“Being named captain of Australia for the very first time was the greatest moment of my rugby league career,” Lewis told League Express.

“It became the most memorable 24 hours of my career. But it quickly changed a few days later. Queensland had just beaten New South Wales once again in the State of Origin series, and I had been named as Australian captain after Max Krilich’s retirement.

“We ran onto Sydney Cricket Ground to to play Great Britain in a three-Test series, and my pride was at an all-time high – that was until the national anthems were played before the kick-off.

“As I started to proudly sing Advance Australia Fair’, the Sydney public started to in a rendition of ‘Wally’s a W****r’! It left me bewildered.

“After the game, a journalist said to me that I shouldn’t let the chant damage the credibility of Sydney. My reply was my opinion of Sydeney was fine – it was a beautiful place – it’s just a shame that it’s full of so many a*******s.”

The former Maroons stand-off is also characteristically blunt when it comes to how Tomkins should react to the derision he has been subjected to in his last two outings.

“It’s quite understandable for Sam Tomkins to be a little upset too,” he said.

“He was out there doing his best and hoping to further the proud name that England has built on the rugby league field for more than a century.

Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have.

So keep your chin up Sam! You’ve gone a lot further than the know-alls in the crowd who’d struggle to lace up a boot.
from one of the "greats" of the game
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I think Joel stuck two fingers up as well to be honest
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

So did I :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
onedego

Post by onedego »

Simply put, it's not uncommon to get cramp in joints after they've been dislocated a few times... he was just streching his fingers out.
OJ

Post by OJ »

The media have a lot to answer for when they build players up and then look for the very first opportunity to shoot them down instead of leaving them alone and letting them play their rugby in peace. Too much to ask for I know.

I felt embarrassed when they said to Noble something about him having been the one to discover him :o if Tim Smith hadn't been injured we wouldn't have seen Sam until MM arrived
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

missyme65

Post by missyme65 »

If Im very honest Im disappointed by Sam, It was blatent on the BBC, it wasnt cramp, reflex it was flicking the V.

I can appreciate his frustration at being Boo'ed while playing for England, that in my eyes is an utter disgrace, never ever diss anyone wearing National colours.
But to retaliate on such a public stage was to say the least foolhardy.

Thing is I think he just might have said goodbye to man of steel
softy southerner finds the holy grail...