Joel moves closer to RU switch

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

Joel moves closer to RU switch

Post by josie andrews »

JOEL Tomkins has taken a step closer to moving to rugby union.

The centre has decided to make the switch and has even agreed contract terms with Saracens, the Evening Post understands.

He will leave his home-town club as soon as the two clubs reach an agreement over compensation.

A formal offer from the Premiership outfit – coached by legend Andy Farrell – is expected in the next few days.

Tomkins has four years to run on the improved Warriors contract he only signed at the start of this year. And given his stature in the game, the Challenge Cup winners will feel a sizeable transfer fee is fair.

The academy-product made his mark on the Test stage last year and earned a place in the Super League DreamTeam.

This season he switched to centre, and underlined his pace and power with a scorching try in the Challenge Cup Final.

Just four weeks after his Wembley heroics, Tomkins signed a contract with James Grant Sports Management in a move that saw his agent, Andy Clarke, become a consultant for the London-based firm.

Another of James Grant’s clients, Chris Ashton, is a close friend of Tomkins.

Ashton’s profile – and income – have rocketed since he left Wigan for union.

Chairman Ian Lenagan has refused to comment on Tomkins’ link to Saracens since the Evening Post broke the story last week, other than to hose down the threat of a player-drain.

“I’m not worried about rugby union,” said Lenagan.

“It irritates me that they are able to pay more to get players, but look at the phenomenal losses they are making. If I was an owner losing millions of pounds I’d be concerned.

“They are in a mess financially and we are stronger than that.”

New coach Shaun Wane is keeping tight-lipped, while Tomkins did not return a call yesterday.

The 24-year-old made himself unavailable for England’s Four Nations campaign as he waits for his future to be clarified.

His younger brother Sam has also been linked with Saracens, and while he has publicly stated his intention to remain in league, he admits a move to the 15-a-side code may be an option in the future. Joel Tomkins’ likely exit will follow those of Ryan Hoffman, Andy Coley, Paul Deacon, Ben Cross, Karl Pryce and Eamon O’Carroll from last season’s squad.

Wigan will hope to offset those departures with new arrivals Epalahame Lauaki (Hull FC) and Crusaders trio Gareth Thomas, Ben Flower and Gil Dudson, captures that may be confirmed within the next few days.

Warriors’ new assistant coach, Iestyn Harris, will name his Wales Four Nations squad later today.

All three of Wigan’s new Welsh contingent are expected to be included.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... _1_3882105
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Joel moves closer to RU switch

Post by josie andrews »

I posted this as a separate thread as the other went a bit off topic :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I've got an idea Wigan, say nothing, prentend that Joel is going nowhere and maybe all the talk will just go away.

Its all over the net, in all the papers and has been the talk of the town for weeks. Add this to the talk of Thomas, Lauiki and the other 3 Crusader players and there's quite a bit of gossip going round.

And from the club....Nothing.

Headline news at the moment is that a charity is sitting on all the seats at the DW and theres a netball thing starting up.

Fantastic news, better renew my season ticket quick.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

First Try Tickle wrote:I've got an idea Wigan, say nothing, prentend that Joel is going nowhere and maybe all the talk will just go away.

Its all over the net, in all the papers and has been the talk of the town for weeks.

And from the club....Nothing.
Maybe because people do not read what is written and seem to skip the most important fact/detail eg:
josie andrews wrote: The centre (?????) has decided to make the switch and has even agreed contract terms with Saracens, the Evening Post understands.

He will leave his home-town club as soon as the two clubs reach an agreement over compensation.

A formal offer from the Premiership outfit – coached by legend Andy Farrell – is expected in the next few days
Underlining what has stopped this move from happening from day one :wink:

Hence Wigan cannot comment on something they have no control over re Joel
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Ultimately IFL will do what is right for the club and Joel will do what's best for him. We need to move on but such negotiations are difficult and time consuming.

We have lost great players throughout the history of our club and bounced back, I for one expect us to do so once again.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
enterprisecranes

Post by enterprisecranes »

[quote="shaunedwardsfan​club​"]Ultimately IFL will do what is right for the club and Joel will do what's best for him. We need to move on but such negotiations are difficult and time consuming.

We have lost great players throughout the history of our club and bounced back, I for one expect us to do so once again'

Totally agree.We have the talent coming through.Who needs over the hill aussies.Lets have faith with our youth system.Give them a chance and no doubt theyll do the business.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The club will go on but let us not kid ourselves that Joel is no loss. Personally, I felt his impact in the pack has been missed whilst as the youngest of the leadership group he was a potential future Wigan RLFC captain. England RL has also lost another talented player.

We have several options to fill the centre spot (Charnley, Goulding, Marsh) and opportunities on the wing for (Roberts/King). However, to quote Joey Johns last weekend, centre is the most testing position defensively in RL and as we saw with NZ and even Joel to an extent, get it wrong and you pay big time.

I know RU are living a dangerous game financially but I think RL is playing an equally dangerous one if it thinks Union will go into financial meltdown and umpteen clubs fold leaving League to say we told you so. Let's be realistic and take steps to make it easier to keep good players in League and attract others.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Yep, cp, got to look after our own game first and foremost & make it go forward stronger, by what we do and actions we take.

Whatever happens to union will happen, not for our game to pre-empt.

By all means take out what we can from that game (or any other), for our benefit but don't just put the blind mans blinkers on. They won't go away.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I have to say the U16's signed and this years U16's are a fine crop of players. Unfortunately, there is a hole where the present U18's lacked quality.

Our 16/17 year olds are exciting. There are a few older gems left but there is a need to scour the country for more talent. Lots of talent elsewhere, Saints and Leeds have just promoted 3 quality youngsters to their first team squad.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

[quote="cpwigan"]The club will go on but let us not kid ourselves that Joel is no loss. Personally, I felt his impact in the pack has been missed whilst as the youngest of the leadership group he was a potential future Wigan RLFC captain. England RL has also lost another talented player.

I am in total agreement CP, Joel is a big loss, he is in my view the best British second row forward in the game. We have known (Wigan RL) that we needed to find a replacement for Gleeson (since early last season), because in my view Joel was only a temporary solution. We have failed to do so and now our position is compounded by Joel wanting away.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards