Monday Night Rugby

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Monday Night Rugby

Post by butt monkey »

The 2012 Stobart Super League season will see Sky Sports televise matches on Monday nights as well as Fridays throughout the summer.

Sky Sports are keen to fill the gap left on Monday nights when the football season ends, from late May to early August.

Sky Sports will stick to Fridays and Saturdays for the first three months of the 2012 Super League season with the 1st Monday night game airing on the 21st May.

This was also confirmed by the RFL who included the following bit of news in their Super League 2012 season launch event:

"Sky Sports will broadcast regular Monday night live action for the first time and show all the tries from each round every Sunday evening".
http://www.superleaguefans.com/rugby-le ... m=facebook

Well, what DO you think of Monday night rugby???
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
exile in Tiger country

Re: Monday Night Rugby

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Awful idea. I can get to games on a Friday night because I can stay with relatives in the North West and come back Saturday. No way can use up two days holiday for a game, however much I want too. Not to mention those getting up early for work on a Tuesday, or kids having to go to school. This could stop whole families from going to a game.
And what is the point of publishing a fixtures list if this can happen? They should just say, for example, Wigan V Castleford some time around Whatever date.
Idiots. Attendances will plummet I bet.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
simmy1

Post by simmy1 »

absolute joke sky and the rfl showing total disregard for the paying fans..i have to use my years hols to ensure i can get to games and struggle all year to buy my season ticket ..monday night games will be a game missed for me as i hsave already booked leave as per fixtures apart from those that usually change with sky on weekends....

not impressed thanks sky and rfl for showing how much you think of fans
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

If this takes of and becomes the norm, then I probably won't be renewing my season ticket.
Travel and work will probably mean missing Monday matches.
Obsolutely stupid idea.
How many parents will want their kids out so late on a school night?
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

Awful decision!! It is nigh on impossible to attend matches that are not at the weekend for myself and if this was known before I renewed my season tickets I wouldnt have bothered and saved myself some money!! :angry: :angry:
Wes

Post by Wes »

Dont shoot me down but it is intended to be a hit on sky tv not at the stands, sky pay us our money and tbh probably dont care how many we get through the gates!
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

I take it things will return to normal 18 august when foory is back. so could affect 10 matches. We should therefore have a max of two in the zone for the Monday. 50/50 it is friday or monday so maybe one match affected by the change. Not such a big ask. The majority of fixtures will remain as per normal. Jim
markill

Post by markill »

I agree it should have been announced sooner and its more for those people at Sky than us paying fans - but I think there has been an over reaction.

What are the chances of us even having a home game on a Monday night. I'd suggest slim - 1/7 chance of it being a wigan game each week and with only 6 possible home games it would effect if it runs from 21 May to end of season, which it might not as footy back mid-august, so then 4 possible home games whilst footy is off TV (Widnes, Bradford, Castleford, Hull FC). Will all four get moved to Monday? No. Maybe one of the four - which are all during school holidays anyway.

I certainly think its ridiculous to say you don't want your season ticket because Sky will be showing mid-season games on a Monday night. We should calm down and see what happens before getting this irate about somehting that might not even affect us.

If it takes off properly from a televised audience point of view then it can't be bad for the sport - and I care more about the sport than whether or not I can get to the odd Wigan game shown on a Monday personally.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

That will be 2 season ticket holders from the Capital City as non starters :eusa17:
2002 and EW is hooked
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

The home game Vs Widnes will
Be moved from the Friday to the following Monday thus meaning two games in 5 days as we play Bradfort at home that Friday night !!

Keep Wigan "Wigan"