WHO OF OUR BACKS HAS ANY PACE?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jimofwigan

WHO OF OUR BACKS HAS ANY PACE?

Post by jimofwigan »

Does any one know a Wigan back that has any pace?

Once you have named Sam Tompkins and Josh Charnley then the rest of the eleven on the field and the four on the bench are pedestrian.How have we managed to loose so many of our speed merchants.
George Carmont ---slow
Pat Richards------slow--WAS OK UP UNTIL HIS LAST OP
Lulai--quick over 5 yards gets cought in longer than 20 yard runs
Finch --------slowest stand off in super leage
Goulding-----never makes a pass or a break slow
You now left with the catergory that you may conclude Hock he's fast for a 2nd rower but in reality slow, PACE PACE PACE WHEN ARE WE GOING TO INJECT PACE INTO OUR SIDE :angry:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: WHO OF OUR BACKS HAS ANY PACE?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Answer: Russell, King, Mellor and Roberts.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
phil winnard

Post by phil winnard »

Hi yes I also have the same concern. The team (and I also felt this last season) does lack pace and flair. Apart from Sam and Josh there are no backs that excite me or frighten the opposition. I think Amos needs a run on the wing when fit with Josh at centre as Amos did scare defences when he was fully fit. The rest of the backs are good / steady players but superleague is full of them.
I am not saying this on the back of just the Huddersfield game as I thought it last year. I still think we will improve and finish top 4 but I was very disappointed with the summer transfers. We are a poorer team than last year.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

HAMPO! He was the quickest back on the pitch on sunday!!! He also looks like he has bulked up in the off season!
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

phil winnard wrote:Hi yes I also have the same concern. The team (and I also felt this last season) does lack pace and flair. Apart from Sam and Josh there are no backs that excite me or frighten the opposition. I think Amos needs a run on the wing when fit with Josh at centre as Amos did scare defences when he was fully fit. The rest of the backs are good / steady players but superleague is full of them.
I am not saying this on the back of just the Huddersfield game as I thought it last year. I still think we will improve and finish top 4 but I was very disappointed with the summer transfers. We are a poorer team than last year.
Roberts only scared defences at full back where he can roam about, he rarely impressed on the wing and lost his position there to Goulding, hence ending up at full back.
bazward76

Post by bazward76 »

After witnessing that dismal performance against the Giants I was left wondering was there anyone apart from Sam capable of out pacing the defence if any gaps had been created. We must have slowest set of backs in league, especially at half back. I don't think Finch could outrun my 90 yr old grandad over length of a pitch. Richards not fast enough for winger so needs be switched to fullback and get Sam back at stand off to inject some pace and flair into the line. Only time we looked dangerous against Giants was on the few occasions Sam joined the line.
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

before i go any further Sam is a full back!

i remember a few years ago that harris used to start at 1 for leeds and then move to 6 when powell went off.

now why don't we when amos is fit do something similar?

play sam at 1 and then when we move tommy to 9 for a spell, shift sam into the halves and bring amos of the bench to play at full back.

just at thought!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

sheepsteeth wrote:before i go any further Sam is a full back!

i remember a few years ago that harris used to start at 1 for leeds and then move to 6 when powell went off.

now why don't we when amos is fit do something similar?

play sam at 1 and then when we move tommy to 9 for a spell, shift sam into the halves and bring amos of the bench to play at full back.

just at thought!!
Or why don't we just do the sensible thing and play Roberts at 1 and Sam at 6 from the off and not waste a bench spot?

The hoops people seem to want to jump through so Sam can stay at 1 are amazing. IMO he needs to be dictating play rather than finishing things off because not enough is being set up for him in the first place.

TL and Micky Mac to share the hooking and that is the only positional change when one of them goes off. Not the stupid musical chairs we have at the moment.

wiganwarriordave

Post by wiganwarriordave »

jimofwigan wrote:Does any one know a Wigan back that has any pace?

Once you have named Sam Tompkins and Josh Charnley then the rest of the eleven on the field and the four on the bench are pedestrian.How have we managed to loose so many of our speed merchants.
George Carmont ---slow
Pat Richards------slow--WAS OK UP UNTIL HIS LAST OP
Lulai--quick over 5 yards gets cought in longer than 20 yard runs
Finch --------slowest stand off in super leage
Goulding-----never makes a pass or a break slow
You now left with the catergory that you may conclude Hock he's fast for a 2nd rower but in reality slow, PACE PACE PACE WHEN ARE WE GOING TO INJECT PACE INTO OUR SIDE :angry:
I think we need to consider a balance here. Josh, Sam, Darryl and even Faz to an extent have pace. Admittedly Richards is losing his. However, pace isn't everything. If it was, we'd have kept Ainscough. Reality was though, he was a defensive liability, especially under the high ball. Something Pat will never be. Pace isn't everything, just look at Briers.
markill

Post by markill »

Josh looked slow and undercooked on Sunday. I don't know if there is anything behind it or just a poor start to the season for him but I wasn't impressed at all.

George and Pat aren't the quickest pairing no - but they score a lot of tries so we can't condemn them after one game this season. They were the same speed last year and still scored plenty and defended well enough. Let's face it, McGilvary and Cudjoe are a pretty fast combination for our guys to get behind - and they almost did once when pat kicked it on but no chaser was around.

The whole of the backs looked slow against Hudds - because they played badly and their timing wasn't up to scratch in game time environment. I'm sure it'll come good, and if it doesn't there is talent and speed in reserve. Lets hope they get a shot if we don't improve
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod