Wigan Win At Bradford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Win At Bradford

Post by josie andrews »

Result from the Grattan Stadium

Bradford Bulls 16

T - Crookes, Sammut, Kearney

G - Sammut 2

Wigan Warriors 54

T - Charnley 2, Richards, Hock, Tuson 2, Goulding 2,Farrell 2

G - Richards 7

Match Report

Wigan Warriors ran out convincing 16-54 winners against the Bradford Bulls at the Grattan Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The Warriors ran in ten tries with a brace for Josh Charnley, Darrell Goulding, Chris Tuson and Liam Farrell, Richards and Hock the other Wigan try scorers.

A big win and a record breaking afternoon for Pat Richards as he moved 3rd in the Club's All Time points scoring record.

Wigan were 0-16 to the good in the opening quarter before the Bulls rallied to make it 10-22 at the break. In the second half though the Warriors were just too strong and were able to cross for three tries in the opening seven minutes to open up a healthy 10-40 lead from which there was no way back for a disappointing Bulls outfit.

Wigan Warriors welcomed back Liam Farrell to the side following his one game suspension, Farrell replacing Tom Spencer, that the only change in the 17 that defeated Leeds Rhinos last Saturday at the DW Stadium. For the Bulls, centre Keith Lulia was handed his debut.

The Bulls were forced into an early change through injury, L'Estrange on for Luke Gale.

Wigan took the lead on 16 minutes with quick hands to the right hand side, Tommy Leuluai to Sam Tomkins and the full back to Goulding who had Charnley on his outside to score in the corner; Richards added the goal to make it 0-6.

Wigan extended their lead on 20 minutes, Finch re-gathered the ball from his own kick and fed Richards who scored a try in the corner, although he missed the kick the earlier conversion and try meant the winger moved up to 3rd spot in Club points scoring, Richards needing just 5 points before kick off to leap frog Frano Botica.

Wigan were on a role and soon after the Warriors were in again for their third try, Hock through a gap, Richards hit the extras and the Warriors were 0-16 to the good.
The Bulls finally got some points on the board with 30 minutes on the clock, Jason Crookes with the try following a kick to the corner. The extras were added by Sammut to make it 6-16.

A mistake by Wigan deep in Bulls territory and Jarrod Sammut broke away to race three quarters the length of the field for the Bulls second try, although the conversion was missed the home side were back in the contest at 10-16.

Wigan responded at the other end, Leuluai with a pass to send in Chris Tuson under the posts, Richards hit the goal, 10-22 at the break.

It took the Warriors less than two minutes to extend their advantage, Darrell Goulding with space on the right and the centre had the pace to score stretching over, Richards added the goal, 10-28.

Two minutes later a Finch pass and a Tuson side step and the second rower was in for his second try under the posts, Richards had no problem with the conversion, 10-34.

Wigan were on a roll and with just seven minutes of the second half gone the Warriors had grabbed their third try of the half, Richards opening the Bulls defence on the left, the ball was swung to the right and the visitors had too many players loaded on the right and Liam Farrell with the touchdown, this time Sam Tomkins hit the goal, 10-40.

On 54 minutes, Shaun Wanes' men were in again, Finch with a pass to Darrell Goulding who walked over for his second try of the game and the Warriors 8th, Richards missed the extras, 10-44.

On 60 minutes, Charnley got his second try, Sam Tomkins with a burst through and kick, Richards missed the extras 10-48 Wigan to the good.

Brett Kearney stretched over for a Bradford try with 70 minutes on the clock, Sammut added he goal 16-48.

Wigan finished the scoring with a couple of minutes left, Sam Tomkins sending Farrell for his second try of the game, Richards hit the extras 16-54.

So a convincing win backing up the success over Leeds last week, Wigan now travel to Castleford Tigers next Sunday with two wins from their opening three games of the season.

Attendance 12909

Team News

Bradford Bulls - Brett Kearney, Jason Crookes, Keith Lulia, Michael Platt, Elliot Kear, Jarrod Sammut, Luke Gale, Craig Kopczak, Matt Diskin, Bryn Hargreaves, Elliott Whitehead, Chev Walker, Jamie Langley

Replacements - Heath L'Estrange, Nick Scruton, Phil Joseph, Tom Burgess

Wigan Warriors - Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley, Darrell Goulding, Jack Hughes, Pat Richards, Brett Finch, Thomas Leuluai, Lee Mossop, Michael McIlorum, Ben Flower, Harrison Hansen, Gareth Hock, Sean O'Loughlin

Replacements - Jeff Lima, Chris Tuson, Epalahame Lauaki, Liam Farrell

Referee - Steve Ganson

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Win At Bradford

Post by josie andrews »

Wane Happy With Win

Head Coach Shaun Wane hailed the achievement of Pat Richards after he climbed to third place in the club's all-time list of scorers with a try and six goals in Sunday's 54-16 win at Bradford.

The 2010 Man of Steel's 16-point haul took his tally for the Warriors to 1,943, edging him in front of Frano Botica, with only Jim Sullivan and Andy Farrell now in front of him.

"I thought he was really impressive today," Wane said. "He was one of our best players.

"Frano was a great player but the way Pat carries the ball back better, he's better than Frano."

It proved a convincing win at Odsal with Darrell Goulding, Josh Charnley, Liam Farrell and Chris Tuson all scoring two tries apiece.

Speaking post match about the performance Shaun added,

"To beat Leeds last week and come here and score 50-odd points, I'm very pleased," he said.

"It was a good performance. Our skill level when we kept hold of the ball was fantastic and some of the tries we scored were impressive.

"Our completion rate in the second half was 90 per cent, which was a massive lift for me. The key is making sure when we have a chance of winning games, we finish our opponents off.

"There are a few areas need to fix up if we are going to challenge for trophies and we will get better.

"We gave silly penalties away early on and that will be one of the main focuses this week. I don't want to accept that."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Re: Bradford vs Wigan

Post by Kittwazzer »

Like Cherry says, this was the poorest Bradford side I've ever seen and its hard to believe they have been so much more successful than we have in the SL era.

It was little more than a light training session for us!
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

maybe the 1st round loss was good for the team,it has made them play better since that game.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

First of all i would like to say that Goulding was excellent today, he is totally proving me wrong and i will gladly hold my hand up if he keeps this up. Brilliant centre play for Charnleys first, and his sold try was brilliant. Happy to be Kermit the frog on this subject.

As for Bradford, when i heard the team read out i thought o dear, not 1 player made me think he could trouble us. And rightly so, Mick Potter has to go as they were awfull.

But what we did was very good, i like how its all forwards in our own half, then we start to throw it around in thiers. They looked like thay were enyoying it out there and the forwards were running riot. The front row tire them out and the second rowers run the gaps and make space. Great team work, with Finch, Lou Lou and Sam behind.

Good turnout by the Wiganers as well.

Best thing about Bradford, the food selection is second to none...
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

First Try Tickle wrote: As for Bradford, when i heard the team read out i thought o dear, not 1 player made me think he could trouble us. And rightly so, Mick Potter has to go as they were awfull.
You said yourself their team is weak, how would a change of coach help?
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

Some good performances all round. Got to say I thought Finch played very well; some very accurate and well timed passes made some good ground and brought some points.
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

Anyone know what has happened to Gelling?..he seems to have
fallen out of favour.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

the winky one wrote:Anyone know what has happened to Gelling?..he seems to have
fallen out of favour.
He has never been in favour in the first place to fall out of favour. He is very raw and unproven and will have to prove himself before getting a crack at the first team. He is currently 4th choice (at best) for a centre spot and the way our centres are playing I cant see him getting a chance anytime soon.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote: And of course, Darrell Goulding is doing his best to make those who constantly doubt his ability look like total muppets. He was outstanding again today.
How dare you call Madge a muppet! :wink:

Joking aside you can only play the team in front of you so to score 54 points against a Bradford team that seems be be going backwards each season is all you can ask.

I think Cas will be a sterner test but another game under the belt and a win won't do the confidence any harm even if the opposition were poor.