Warriors Win

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
trotski_tgwu

Warriors Win

Post by trotski_tgwu »

Good score tonight Warriors 15-4 salford.

I listened to radio gmr online tonight well done lads. only trouble is Stains are top of the league lol :conf:

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

GeoffN

Re: Warriors Win

Post by GeoffN »

Just got back. Well done the lads, looked pretty impressive for an opening game. the pack was excellent all round, and Moran & Orr looked good together.
Superb defence, the only times they made any yards against us was with Klein's bizarre penalty decisions. Considering the conditions, good ball handling too. Moran got voted MOM by the fans (that new text voting), but difficult to pick one really from a good all-round performance. I'd have gone for Lockers personally, but wouldn't argue with Moran, Tickle or Scully.

Crowd singing "there's only one decent Sculthorpe" at the end was nice, when he was really getting stuck in!

All-in-all, a good win in what could easily have been one of those "banana skin" games.

match reports here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 254889.stm
and here
http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 23,00.html

although I thought it was Scully, not Newton, who offloaded for Moran's try
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

bit of a sloppy game but at least we won. I feel the half backs played well and so did the front row. All the rest had a bit of a rusty game. I was just wondering what did SeuSeu get placed on report for?
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Knees up in the tackle I think.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I have a rather different perspective on the game than that. I thought Moran was fairly impressive, he added a much better kicking game than we had last season. O'Loughlin also looked good but I thought Sculthorpe was our best player, seems their tactic of winding him up only brought the best out of us.

In a game like this we should have made it comfortable all the way through, but instead we made hard work of it. It started off well but with the amount of pressure we put on them in the first half we should have been 18 nil up by half time, if not more. It didn't fill me with any confidence when after just 50 minutes we drop a goal because we couldn't score a try. Then they got back in it with a try. We then had to put up with a bit of pressure before kicking a penalty and then the try.

Seuseu was good running forward but there were no offloads and he was a liability for giving away penalties. As for Vaealiki he didn't have a good game, he looked sluggish running (perhaps injured?) and his attempted palm offs were laughable.

All in all I'd say it was very disappointing, we only had a respectable result because they were poor, next week and especially the week after we need to improve an AWFUL lot.
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

seu seu didnt sound like he had a good game according to gmr sports but then i was only listening to game while watching the leeds game on sky and even then gmr kept on going to stains ground every other minute :evil: which realy tied me of. But glad the lads did well, very good start & i will be down for Bradford game in 2wks. Might see some of you then lol. Thanks you guys for the quick report on the match.

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

cant blame the team for that rob.It was the weather and the pitch.Ye there was sloppy handling but i thaught we played well.
ancient and loyal upon my chest

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

warrior till i die posted:
cant blame the team for that rob.It was the weather and the pitch.Ye there was sloppy handling but i thaught we played well.
When you have all that possession you need to do something with it. We didn't, nothing to do with the pitch or weather, I didn't think handling was particularly bad, there were one or two handling errors but nowt too bad. If we were playing a top team tonight we'd have been torn to shreds.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I'm just happy with the win - we did what we needed to do in the conditions, it wasn't the place for flowing back moves, just slug it out up front. Our pack beat theirs hands down. I thought Jerry jerry jerry did ok, apart from the penalties, one good offload near the end that Moran could have taken and would have scored.

Good crowd too. 13.5k and Salford didn't bring many.
LiL_WaRrIoR

Post by LiL_WaRrIoR »

i thought seu seu played really well he seems like he can be a great player the only problem was the penalties! also locky played great and kevin brown was really good!! i think overall we played well but we could definatly improve! :exc:
Wigan till i die!