Wane the new Noble? Finch the new Barrett?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TonyH

Wane the new Noble? Finch the new Barrett?

Post by TonyH »

As the title says, there's been a lot of comparison between Wane and Noble over the past few weeks with the inconsistency etc.

Also, having just re-watched Fridays game it struck me how much cover tackling and work Finch does for our side, he is certainly one of the most if not THE most valuable player for Wigan, almost Barrett-esque.

Thoughts?
Up The Mont!
ragman

Re: Wane the new Noble? Finch the new Barrett?

Post by ragman »

I think Finch certainly pulls his tripe out, but I don't think he's got the class of Barrett. He certainly doesn't have the kicking game.

As for Wane, I still hope he's not got the stubborn arrogance of Noble.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Finch is an average player but the best halfback we have got at present. If he was as good as Barrett he would be playing in the NRL. If TB had played on Friday we would have won that game easily - his professionalism, drive skill, knowledge and stewardship would have ensured that our game plan was adjusted accordingly.

As for Waney and Noble, they appear to be one dimensional!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

As I recall, Brian 'Duty of Care' Noble was reluctant to consider bringing youngsters through. The Widnes game showed Wane as the opposite so no!

Watched the game again this morning and was amazed at how superior we were. OK, we were guilty of errors but they were a lot worse. We lost thanks to Silverwood's incompetence (eg the Briers intercept) and Lauaki's stupidity at the end. Thankfully, we shouldn't be lumbered with either of them next week!

Finch is a great player and hard grafting orchestrator but no TB - at 400K pa, I'm glad he isn't. I'd like him to be given more authority on the pitch if he signs a new contract. Joint captain perhaps?
jobo

Post by jobo »

cherry.pie wrote:Finch is a very clever player and underrated. Craig Bellamy certainly saw something in him and having seen what he does at Wigan I can see why.

He's not as good as Barrett, few players are, but with the salary cap you have to be good value for the team and Finch certainly is.

He's one of the best players in Super League so I'm glad we've got Finchy.
Agree about Finch and would add, if his kicking game improved he wouldn't be that far behind Barrett. As for Wane, he isn't the new Noble. He's potentially better than that but needs to sort out whether he really wants to be a number one and is prepared to make decisions that prove it, or go back to being a very capable number two.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I like Finchy. The odd thing is he deffo had a great kicking game at Canberra, Sydney City and Parra.

I read somewhere he was rated the best defensive half in the NRL, + the best/biggest sledger in the NRL.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

jobo wrote: As for Wane, he isn't the new Noble. He's potentially better than that but needs to sort out whether he really wants to be a number one and is prepared to make decisions that prove it, or go back to being a very capable number two.
That thought occurred to me as well but could it be engineered without SW losing face. I thought Darryl Powell did a good job at Leeds but then they 'promoted' him to Director of Rugby and shunted in Tony Smith as coach.

Pity we couldn't bring Adrian Lam back in some capacity!
jobo

Post by jobo »

Kittwazzer wrote:
jobo wrote: As for Wane, he isn't the new Noble. He's potentially better than that but needs to sort out whether he really wants to be a number one and is prepared to make decisions that prove it, or go back to being a very capable number two.
That thought occurred to me as well but could it be engineered without SW losing face. I thought Darryl Powell did a good job at Leeds but then they 'promoted' him to Director of Rugby and shunted in Tony Smith as coach.

Pity we couldn't bring Adrian Lam back in some capacity!
Could be right here Kitt. Unless things start to go really t*its up, which I don't think will happen, I'd give him the rest of the season regardless. After that it wont be a decision any more, just an action based on results.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

jobo wrote:
Could be right here Kitt. Unless things start to go really t*its up, which I don't think will happen, I'd give him the rest of the season regardless. After that it wont be a decision any more, just an action based on results.
Correct. We owe him that much and if it doesn't work out, he'll have had his chance. I still think it will work out though!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

The player best assisting Gaz Hock and Liam Farrell to play how good they currently are is Brett Finch, his vision and timing of the pass is second to none in SL.
Shaun Wane I am unsure of, he was good for the Wigan youth teams, but how this transpires into head coaching is still to be decided. Madge thought he was good enough.