Le Tour 2012

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
ancientnloyal

Le Tour 2012

Post by ancientnloyal »

Anyone watching this year?

Great win for Cavendish today couldnt spot him until the end.

Wiggins and Evans look good
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Sutty

Re: Le Tour 2012

Post by Sutty »

Yep, I'm watching, as ever.

Superb win from Cav today, just loitered off the back of the leaders until the last few hundred and then go onto Greipal's wheel. Like Boardman said afterwards, he's got an extra gear that he can use (not on his bike, but physically). It's obvious that he's lost some weight and a bit of top end power but he's still got the explosive acceleration. Di you hear him say a "big shout out to Peta Todd"? I thought that was funny.

Brad and the sulking teenager that is Evans look really good. I'm keeping everything crossed that Brad's going to do it this year. He's won a raft of gold at the olympics, but the Tour is the pinnacle of any cyclists career.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Could tell just then (or today) when Cav went up to the i'mdte sprint only had one helper. sky are there for yellow. I am sure Cav will be happy enough freestyling for a bit and if he is away from green come week 3 i can see him drop out. Doubt it though

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Fantastic Tour so far with Bradley in the yellow...

...until now: Frank Schleck has failed a doping test

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I was amazed when I read about Schelck last night. I never thought he'd be so stupid or desperate to do that. I mean, it's not as if it's going to enhance his chances of winning.

As Phil Liggett said last night, another two days in the Pyrenees and then Wiggins is virtually guaranteed the Tour win. It'll be good to see how Sky are going to control the inevitable attacks from Nibali and Contador. Personally, I don't think any of them have much chance of beating Wiggins. Nibali needs to take at least 5 minutes out of Wiggins before the TT on Saturday, if he's going to give himself enough of a cushion to win. I can't see that happening, barring a disaster for Brad. Having said that, I think if anything happens to Wiggins, then Froome will step up and take over.
What a fantastic Tour for the British this year. 1st and 2nd in the GC, so far. 4 British stage winners and a possibility of the yellow jersey leading out the rainbow jersey to give Cav a crack at winning on the Champs Elysees.
Then with the Olympics just around the corner, British cycling has never been so good, and it's fantastic. :D

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Early start this morning. Looks like my daughter will miss cbbeebies today she will be mad.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

lol, I don't follow it during the day because I hate watching the highlights if I know what's gone on and who's won the stages etc.
I'll be glued to the tv for the TT though, at the weekend. And then again for (hopefully) Brad's celebratory final stage on Sunday.

Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I've taken up cycling this year in an attempt to stay in shape. That was before my cancer diagnosis but I have been out on the bike a couple of times and am really looking forward to having a proper go when not full of chemotherapy. But I digress.

I have started watching the tour with some interest especially with a Brit (and Wigan fan) wearing the yellow jersey. I just didn't realise just how many tactics were involved. There really is so much to learn.
What I could appreciate was Cavendish's explosive sprint finish in today's stage. He made the others look as if they were out on a Sunday afternoon's stroll.
I think Wiggins will show his class tomorrow and be right up there in the time trial. Hopefully it should make the Paris final stage a formality. Here's hoping.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
jobo

Post by jobo »

Apart from the fact that Wigan are fantastic, how come Bradley supports us. He's got a Belgian Mum, Aussie Dad and hails from darn souf. I know he lives in Chorley but wonder what attracted him to RL and Wigan. Very impressed with him though, especially the sportsmanship he showed by stopping to let the guy with punctures catch him up, shows he might be a true Wiganer. Top man.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Started cycling a year ago, and rode stage 16 in the Etape du Tour last weekend, brutal but completed it. Great respect for these guys and will be awesome to see Wiggo and Froome on the podium in Paris. The fact that one is a huge Wigan fan id a huge bonus and should ( but won't ) be seized upon by the RFL marketing team ( if they have one)

Team of the year has to go to Team Sky, they have been perfect.