Wheels fell off since Exiles game!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Hanley the God!

Wheels fell off since Exiles game!!

Post by Hanley the God! »

I said that even before these stupid exhibition games, that these meaningless games would help to ruin our season and my point is now proved.

Losing Tommy, Finch (best player in SL) moving to #7, O'loughlin (best #13 in SL moving to #6 - not a #6) Farrell playing a regular #13 ( not a ball playing #13).

Basically has helped to f**ck up our season, which was otherwise looking like we would win all 3 trophies!!
Kittwazzer

Re: Wheels fell off since Exiles game!!

Post by Kittwazzer »

Agree totally. Exiles games achieves sod all other than give the worst ever coach in SL history a guaranteed salary.

Most successful teams supply majority of players so any injuries will benefit the lesser teams.

It should be ditched!
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

It has. But I suppose that we have to accept that the RFL extends beyond Wigan. Last year (ironically) it was the CC that screwed us up. Well at least we don't have to concern ourselves with that anymore.

Smith in is a big plus for me. Balance and consistency is what we need now. He may do this.

We'll see.

And for the record. I f*****g hate everything about the exiles farce and the RFL right now. I just can't help thinking that the fact that it's screwed up our season is mana from heaven for everyone else. Cant have Wigan being any good now can we?!?!?
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Far as I'm concerned Mr L should go and tell the RFL that until the Exiles games are shifted until after the regular season has been completed that no Wigan players will be released to play in them.

Those two matches are putting us in danger of losing any chance of silverware for this season.

We keep banking on getting the likes of Tommy, Pat and Josh fully fit and us going on to win the GF.

Sadly it takes time for those players to get match fit and back to how they were performing just a few weeks back.

It may have only been a matter of weeks ago but the team then and the team now are streets apart.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Perhaps you have to look at changes in conditioning approaches this season. We seem to be suffering more injuries than the previous 2 seasons ?

Bitcom remains but he follows instructions
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Perhaps you have to look at changes in conditioning approaches this season. We seem to be suffering more injuries than the previous 2 seasons ?

Bitcom remains but he follows instructions
Must admit, that has crossed my mind several times. Last 2 years by comparison, we were injury free. I remember Madge telling us “Come watch us train. What you see in a match is what you see when we train”

It worked for him but I wonder if SW has upped the intensity. Never known so many 'injured in training' or 'failed late fitness tests'!
doc

Post by doc »

CPW, to be fair to Wane/Bitcom there is nothing that they can do when players are accidentally injured during a match e.g. Tommy, H. Charnley, Prescott. If we were getting a lot of injuries with hamstring pulls etc. I would agree, but we are not. The only things you can put down to the training are those such as Lima's that occurred during full contact training and we get very few of these.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Hanley the God! wrote:I said that even before these stupid exhibition games, that these meaningless games would help to ruin our season and my point is now proved.

Losing Tommy, Finch (best player in SL) moving to #7, O'loughlin (best #13 in SL moving to #6 - not a #6) Farrell playing a regular #13 ( not a ball playing #13).

Basically has helped to f**ck up our season, which was otherwise looking like we would win all 3 trophies!!
Made this point in the game thread but we didn't deal with it very well primarily because of the stupid insistence of playing Lockers at #6.

The debate about playing Sam in the halves has been done to death but we could have fixed the problem by bringing Mellor back to play 7.

I think it has been said either here or on rlfans the club would not do it as he will be a Widnes player next season but he is still on our books and bringing him back would have left the rest of the team unchanged positionally.

It shows a bit a nativity on Wanes part to think he could afford the luxury of going into a cup semi-final with a make shift stand off.

This isn't hindsight either. Various options were discussed on here as most of us wanted Lockers back to 13. Many of us were predicting after we signed Smith it made it all the more likely Lockers would stay at #6 and we know it just doesn't work.

The exiles game is the root cause but Wigan and Wane compounded the problem, with dopey selections and a very strange idea of what a player being our on loan actually means!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
The debate about playing Sam in the halves has been done to death but we could have fixed the problem by bringing Mellor back to play 7.

I think it has been said either here or on rlfans the club would not do it as he will be a Widnes player next season but he is still on our books and bringing him back would have left the rest of the team unchanged positionally.
But that happened 2 years ago when Saints brought back Matty Smith from Salford and he got them to the GF. They let him stay there and ended up competing with us for him. I can see history repeating itself here. And if Mellor had played for us today, we couldn't have finished any worse off. How bad would he have to have been to be worse than Jelly!
JackH

Post by JackH »

We've had a lot of injures, but we've also been really good this year bar the odd performance. Better than 2010 I think.

You can't blame the training if it's made us play that well.