Remember Steve Hampson?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ron Doran

Remember Steve Hampson?

Post by Ron Doran »

Well just to jog your memory....(thank you Bilko)

Position: Full Back
Wigan Playing Career: 1983-1993
Wigan Debut: 6th November 1983 v York (H - John Player Special Trophy Round 1) - Won 30-13 (Central Park)
Last Wigan Match: 9th May 1993 v Castleford (H - Premiership Trophy Semi Final) - Won 25-8 (Central Park)
First Wigan Try: 18th December 1983 v Hull (H) - Won 14-12 (Central Park)
Last Wigan Try: 27th March 1993 v Bradford (Challenge Cup Semi Final) - Won 15-8 (Burnden Park, Bolton)

Well part of his training schedule called for some time on a trampoline. The result was that Steve could out-jump opponents for the high ball.
May not be a bad idea if this was reintroduced for players numbered 1 - 5.
E.& O.E.
KOOCH

Re: Remember Steve Hampson?

Post by KOOCH »

For my money Hampo was one of the best full backs ever to wear Cherry&white he could jump better than a damned gazelle. :D
BriH

Post by BriH »

Am I right in thinking that Chairman Robinson did him out of his testimonial?
I seem to recollect Steve letting Robinson know about this when Salford ended our unbeaten Cup run.
Great player.
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

BriH - Don't recollect those detail. I do remember is that when Steve retired he went as a landlord with a pal of his to a pub in Frog Lane.
E.& O.E.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ron Doran wrote:BriH - Don't recollect those detail. I do remember is that when Steve retired he went as a landlord with a pal of his to a pub in Frog Lane.
The pub was in Woodhouse Lane, the Belle Vue & it was with Nick du Toit :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

BriH wrote:Am I right in thinking that Chairman Robinson did him out of his testimonial?
I seem to recollect Steve letting Robinson know about this when Salford ended our unbeaten Cup run.
Great player.
There was some controversy over this. He did ten years with the club and I remember he didn't get the testimonial he deserved.

One of the best it not the best full back I have seen play for Wigan.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

DaveO wrote:
BriH wrote:Am I right in thinking that Chairman Robinson did him out of his testimonial?
Great player.
There was some controversy over this. He did ten years with the club and I remember he didn't get the testimonial he deserved.

One of the best it not the best full back I have seen play for Wigan.
Was it a challenge cup final where he receieved the ball from kick off, ran it in, got a high tackle and headbutted the protagonist - promptly getting sent off????

Happy days.
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

So what about the trampoline, would it work for the current players?
E.& O.E.
warriordp

Post by warriordp »

I'm sure it was Gary freeman playing for kiwis who Hampson tupped,and he got 7 matches ban I think.
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

He also got sent off twice in the same weekend, he got sent off on the Saturday playing for Wigan and then on the Sunday playing for GB
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!