Warriors 2012 Player Awards Winners

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors 2012 Player Awards Winners

Post by josie andrews »

Departing Centre George Carmont won the 2012 Player of the Year Award at the Club's end of season presentation dinner which was held at the DW Stadium on Tuesday evening.

The Player of the Year is decided in a poll amongst the players, coaching staff, supporters, sponsors and key stakeholders and Carmont who has decided to retire from the game took the main award of the night. George has spent five seasons with the Club and has been the consummate professional making 154 appearances and scoring 80 tries.

Man of Steel Sam Tomkins won the Player's Player of the Year following another sensational season while the Coaches Player of the Year Award went to hard working hooker Michael McIlorum.

Other winners included Darrell Goulding (Community Award), Rob Lever (U18's Player of the Year), Jack Murphy (U20's Player of the Year) and Jack Hughes who picked up the Young Player of the Year Award.

Big Hit went to Sean O'Loughlin's tackle on Remi Casty against the Catalan Dragons in Montpellier in June and Try of the Year - which was voted on during the event - was awarded to Josh Charnley for the try against the Catalans in the Play-Offs.

The Peter Higginbottom Recognition Award, was presented to Club stalwarts Malc Clarke and Gordon Melling for their long service and hard work behind the scenes as statisticians for the coaching staff.

During the evening there was a special thank you to all the departing players which included Thomas Leuluai, George Carmont, Stuart Fielden, Jeff Lima and Brett Finch.

There was also a special Life Membership Award given to Wigan Warriors fan Bradley Wiggins to recognise his sporting achievements which include in 2012 winning the Tour de France and an Olympic Gold Medal in London.

The final award of the evening, the Chairman's Award went to Thomas Leuluai for his loyal service to the Club.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
markill

Re: Warriors 2012 Player Awards Winners

Post by markill »

I saw on Twitter that you were at the awards Josie - care to share Wiggins comedy gold with those of us who weren't there? was it a good night?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
HGWarrior

Post by HGWarrior »

Too rude to publish!!

Don't know how much (if any) will be shown on Warriors TV. It may have to be a constant beep. But he was funny!
The future's bright

The future's Cherry & White!!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

markill wrote:I saw on Twitter that you were at the awards Josie - care to share Wiggins comedy gold with those of us who weren't there? was it a good night?
As HG stated, it is unprintable but he was very drunk & very funny

He also likes to sing ...

"Gareth Hock, Gareth Gareth Hock na na na na na na"

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:Departing Centre George Carmont won the 2012 Player of the Year Award at the Club's end of season presentation dinner which was held at the DW Stadium on Tuesday evening.

The Player of the Year is decided in a poll amongst the players, coaching staff, supporters, sponsors and key stakeholders and Carmont who has decided to retire from the game took the main award of the night. George has spent five seasons with the Club and has been the consummate professional making 154 appearances and scoring 80 tries.

Man of Steel Sam Tomkins won the Player's Player of the Year following another sensational season while the Coaches Player of the Year Award went to hard working hooker Michael McIlorum.

Other winners included Darrell Goulding (Community Award), Rob Lever (U18's Player of the Year), Jack Murphy (U20's Player of the Year) and Jack Hughes who picked up the Young Player of the Year Award.

Big Hit went to Sean O'Loughlin's tackle on Remi Casty against the Catalan Dragons in Montpellier in June and Try of the Year - which was voted on during the event - was awarded to Josh Charnley for the try against the Catalans in the Play-Offs.

The Peter Higginbottom Recognition Award, was presented to Club stalwarts Malc Clarke and Gordon Melling for their long service and hard work behind the scenes as statisticians for the coaching staff.

During the evening there was a special thank you to all the departing players which included Thomas Leuluai, George Carmont, Stuart Fielden, Jeff Lima and Brett Finch.

There was also a special Life Membership Award given to Wigan Warriors fan Bradley Wiggins to recognise his sporting achievements which include in 2012 winning the Tour de France and an Olympic Gold Medal in London.

The final award of the evening, the Chairman's Award went to Thomas Leuluai for his loyal service to the Club.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Absolutely spot on those awards. I can't think of one of those that hasn't gone to a very deserving recipient.

Very pleased for George (he had my vote).

Glad to see Hughes get the young player of the year award as well. He is one of those players who when you see him on the pitch you just know has the natural ability to go far in the game. Watching him reminds me of a young Joel Tomkins when he first broke into the side. I knew with him he would be quality and I think Hughes is one who has that same something about him.
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

josie andrews wrote:
markill wrote:I saw on Twitter that you were at the awards Josie - care to share Wiggins comedy gold with those of us who weren't there? was it a good night?
As HG stated, it is unprintable but he was very drunk & very funny

He also likes to sing ...

"Gareth Hock, Gareth Gareth Hock na na na na na na"
Josie e-mail me it then please lol

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

DaveO wrote: Absolutely spot on those awards. I can't think of one of those that hasn't gone to a very deserving recipient.

Glad to see Hughes get the young player of the year award as well. He is one of those players who when you see him on the pitch you just know has the natural ability to go far in the game. Watching him reminds me of a young Joel Tomkins when he first broke into the side. I knew with him he would be quality and I think Hughes is one who has that same something about him.
Anyone agree with any of the above? Or am I being to positive?
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

DaveO wrote:
DaveO wrote: Absolutely spot on those awards. I can't think of one of those that hasn't gone to a very deserving recipient.

Anyone agree with any of the above? Or am I being to positive?
Who ARE YOU and what have you done with the Real DaveO?

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

TSB

Post by TSB »

Why was Matty Russell not included in the special thank you.

He has given great service to the club.
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

TSB - Well spotted. I notice that there hasn't been a response yet? Cum on you Rumour people you must have heard something?
E.& O.E.