Powell II, the sequel

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Powell II, the sequel

Post by cpwigan »

:eusa16:
markill

Re: Powell II, the sequel

Post by markill »

what was he like last week? I was away. I had read about him looking good carrying the ball and strong in defence. People were talking about tackle busts and were excited about what he might do tonight.

Last night was unconvincing. He seemed keen and put in effort but looked a long way off being up to speed on understanding the game. Maybe being in a faltering team performance didn't help. He was hidden behind the ruck in defence most of the time, but when outside that position he didn't look to understand his positioning properly, but then didn't make any terrible misses.

I would say there is no reason to say he won't improve and become an effective weapon, but he shouldn't be involved in the cup game and probably give the derby a miss too. A spell on loan at Leigh would be sensible for the next 3-4weeks
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Time will tell on Powell and it currently should not be spent in Wigan's first team
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:It was stupid of Wane to say that Powell played last week because he had no choice when Spencer was clearly fit and doing well for Leigh.

He's said he made his debut about 6 weeks ahead of schedule. If that's the case then why did he play for us last night? He looked totally lost. He didn't really know where or when to run without being directed. He was lucky not to get penalised several times for not being square at marker (or did he get penalised for that?) and he was frequently offside in the defensive line (luckily there wasn't a chance in hell of the officials spotting something like that).

I just don't get it. Why isn't he playing for South Wales? He's clearly out of his depth which is exactly what you'd expect.
I'd agree with that and I think a spell at South Wales is on the cards.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

DaveO wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:It was stupid of Wane to say that Powell played last week because he had no choice when Spencer was clearly fit and doing well for Leigh.

He's said he made his debut about 6 weeks ahead of schedule. If that's the case then why did he play for us last night? He looked totally lost. He didn't really know where or when to run without being directed. He was lucky not to get penalised several times for not being square at marker (or did he get penalised for that?) and he was frequently offside in the defensive line (luckily there wasn't a chance in hell of the officials spotting something like that).

I just don't get it. Why isn't he playing for South Wales? He's clearly out of his depth which is exactly what you'd expect.
I'd agree with that and I think a spell at South Wales is on the cards.
Yes, I agree - the South ....Pole.

Completely out of his depth and at his stage of life it will be hardly worthwhile - will take ages to get right. Going forward, he kind of succumbs to the tackle in advance, instead of giving it his all, hence we lose all momentum going forward.

Can't understand this signing; there's got to be more to it than meets the eye. Heard a RUMOUR that the RFL were part funding him because of his Union background. Don't know the full facts, though.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Personally I think we have signed a duck egg.
If he was 23 that would be a different matter with time to be moulded but at he's age now can't see him making it.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

cow yeds wrote:Personally I think we have signed a duck egg.
If he was 23 that would be a different matter with time to be moulded but at he's age now can't see him making it.
Now come on give him a break!

My missus reckons I am a grumpy old fart but even I would give him more of a chance after two cameos and coming on the back of his honeymoon
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

East Stand Faithful wrote:

My missus reckons I am a grumpy old fart but even I would give him more of a chance after two cameos and coming on the back of his honeymoon
Like yourself, I say give him a chance as you cannot judge a player from RU until he has played a few games and learned the rules of a different game.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote:

Like yourself, I say give him a chance as you cannot judge a player from RU until he has played a few games and learned the rules of a different game.
I stand to be corrected, but in this case it will take more like a few seasons. May happen faster with a Back, but totally different climate for a technical, union Prop.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Now dual registered with the Scorpions and will play at Oldham on Sunday according to BBC text pages on TV.
Personally I think he was signed purely as an advertising stunt for the Welsh world cup campaign.
I'm only surprised that he actually wore the Cherry & White before he was shipped off to South Wales.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09