The Last Post

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Sutty

The Last Post

Post by Sutty »

If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which The Last Post was played; this brings out a new meaning of it.

Here is something everyone should know. Until I read this, I didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true:

We have all heard the haunting song, 'The Last Post.' It's the song that gives us the lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes.

But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings.

Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the American Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia . The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.

During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment.

When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.

The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army.

The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted.

The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral.

The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.

But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.

The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform.

This wish was granted.

The haunting melody, we now know as 'The Last Post' used at military funerals was born.

The words are:
>
> Day is done.
> Gone the sun.
> From the lakes
> From the hills.
> From the sky.
> All is well.
> Safely rest.
> God is nigh.
>
> Fading light.
> Dims the sight.
> And a star..
> Gems the sky.
> Gleaming bright.
> From afar.
> Drawing nigh.
> Falls the night.
>
> Thanks and praise.
> For our days.
> Neath the sun
> Neath the stars.
> Neath the sky
> As we go.
> This we know.
> God is nigh

I too have felt the chills while listening to 'The Last Post' but I have never seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more than one verse .. I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along.

josie andrews

Re: The Last Post

Post by josie andrews »

What a very sad story. I too like the tune The Last Post, & get goosebumps when it's played, I think it is a very emotional song, but like you never knew the story behind it.

Thank you Paul for sharing its origin with us.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Yes. A fascinating story I'd be interested to hear how the tune made its way across the Atlantic. That was a rare conflict on American soil that the British weren't involved in!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kittwazzer wrote:Yes. A fascinating story I'd be interested to hear how the tune made its way across the Atlantic. That was a rare conflict on American soil that the British weren't involved in!

The American Civil War threw up an awful lot of interesting stories, with many families having divided loyalties. Lincoln was only asked at the last minute to say a few words following the unprecedented carnage at Gettysburg. As a result, the most famous speech in American history was scribbled on the back of a used envelope!
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

The "last post" is British, are you thinking of "Taps" the american equivalent that gets confused with ours. It sounds similar :conf:
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

x Wigan Warrior x wrote:The "last post" is British, are you thinking of "Taps" the american equivalent that gets confused with ours. It sounds similar :conf:
You are correct it's not the last post it is Taps.
two entirely different tunes.

The last post is played on army camps every night to signal the end of day. It was being played long before the American civil war.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

Correct cow yeds and the infrantry last post is different to the cavalry last post. My fafourite call is the Royal Marines 'Sunset' which certainly moves me especially when incorporated in an hymn played by The Royal Scots Dragoon Gaurds . The above story is no less moving especially has Rememberance Day is almost upon us
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If you ever get the opportunity (I have once) the most moving place for the Last Post IMO is here;
Every night at 8.00pm (20:00 hours) a moving ceremony takes place under the Menin Gate in Ieper - Ypres. The Last Post Ceremony has become part of the daily life in Ieper (Ypres) and the local people are proud of this simple but moving tribute to the courage and self-sacrifice of those who fell in defence of their town.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:If you ever get the opportunity (I have once) the most moving place for the Last Post IMO is here;
Every night at 8.00pm (20:00 hours) a moving ceremony takes place under the Menin Gate in Ieper - Ypres. The Last Post Ceremony has become part of the daily life in Ieper (Ypres) and the local people are proud of this simple but moving tribute to the courage and self-sacrifice of those who fell in defence of their town.
I believe the 3rd Battle of Ypres was also known as Paschendaale, one of the worst of the entire war in terms of carnage!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:If you ever get the opportunity (I have once) the most moving place for the Last Post IMO is here;
I believe the 3rd Battle of Ypres was also known as Paschendaale, one of the worst of the entire war in terms of carnage!
Six Victoria Crosses awarded to men of the Lancashire Fusiliers and most ever awarded in one day of battle.