Warriors Name Derby Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors Name Derby Squad

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors have today named their 19 man squad for the Good Friday lunch time clash with St Helens at Langtree Park, 12.15pm kick off.

As expected the Warriors welcome back Matty Smith, Ben Flower and Liam Farrell who were all rested for last week's home game against London Broncos. The only player missing for Wigan is Winger Josh Charnley who remains sidelined with a leg injury.

Wigan Warriors 19 man squad ( in alphabetical order)

25 John Bateman, 1 Matty Bowen, 32 Joe Burgess, 24 Tony Clubb, 16 Gil Dudson, 12 Liam Farrell, 10 Ben Flower, 3 Darrell Goulding, 6 Blake Green, 14 Jack Hughes, 28 Jordan James, 9 Michael McIlorum, 13 Sean O'Loughlin, 22 Eddy Pettybourne, 23 Dan Sarginson, 7 Matty Smith, 8 Scott Taylor, 4 Iain Thornley, 27 George Williams

Meanwhile the Saints are without Kyle Amor, who was hurt against Huddersfield in the Challenge Cup, while Anthony Laffranchi and Willie Manu are sidelined by injuries. Wing Adam Swift is also omitted from the squad.

St Helens 19 man squad (in squad number order)

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Jordan Turner, 4. Josh Jones, 6. Lance Hohaia, 7. Luke Walsh, 8. Mose Masoe, 9. James Roby, 10. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 11. Sia Soliola, 12. Jon Wilkin, 15. Mark Flanagan, 17. Paul Wellens, 18. Alex Walmsley, 23. Joe Greenwood, 25. Anthony Walker, 26. Matty Dawson, 27. Greg Richards, 28. Luke Thompson.

Referee - Richard Silverwood

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... LvECCkF.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
markill

Re: Warriors Name Derby Squad

Post by markill »

Would prefer Crosby in the 19 to Dudson.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I am sick and tired of seeing Jordan James in the squad :angry:
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

cpwigan wrote:I am sick and tired of seeing Jordan James in the squad :angry:
To be fair he has played ok when called upon I get where you are coming from
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wes

Post by Wes »

Totally agree re JJ, a sh!t signing and preventing Crosby from game time thus progressing his game! Drop JJ and Dudson from the 19 for me.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I was very sceptical as to wigan bringing in jordan james as a player this season but the more I see of him the more I get impressed by his enthusiasm and effort for the team. There are no fancy frills with him but he does a solid job as I see it in enabling players to rest or recover from injury.
Where has he let the side down not to be included in the squad CP.
How do you think he has compared to Gill Dudson who is also regularly in the squad.
Do we have enough quality in young props to cover in cases of injury to the likes of Flower etc.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

PM; JJ was even good enough for Salford. He offers nothing long term and in the short term a bit of grunt and effort. If Wigan RLFC was about a bit of grunt and effort can think of umpteen forwards across RL who offer that and more. Likewise we have several good young front rowers who would do exactly what J does but gain valuable long term experience / development. We let Greenwood go to London, I would rather see him than JJ.

Dudson is immaterial in relation to JJ. It is a separate issue. However, he too (Dudson) needs to step up big time.

We have Ryan Sutton and Ben Austin in the U19s, both played Academy International Level IIRC. Far better IMO to give a lad like that a 0-15 minute cameo in the first team than an old lag like JJ.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I can see all sides here. I'd rather see Crosby than JJ. I assume Wane is going for experience. And it would certainly be one in the eye for Stains fans if he put in a MoM performance!
markill

Post by markill »

For what it's worth, James had his best game for us last week, but I agree with your sentiment. No good giving a young lad a debut in a game like this but Crosby for sure should be ahead of him and would want the young guys in the frame for Bradford or Hunslet
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:PM; JJ was even good enough for Salford. He offers nothing long term and in the short term a bit of grunt and effort. If Wigan RLFC was about a bit of grunt and effort can think of umpteen forwards across RL who offer that and more. Likewise we have several good young front rowers who would do exactly what J does but gain valuable long term experience / development. We let Greenwood go to London, I would rather see him than JJ.

Dudson is immaterial in relation to JJ. It is a separate issue. However, he too (Dudson) needs to step up big time.

We have Ryan Sutton and Ben Austin in the U19s, both played Academy International Level IIRC. Far better IMO to give a lad like that a 0-15 minute cameo in the first team than an old lag like JJ.
CP I am more disappointed that we didn't go after players like kyle Amour who has that little bit more than just grunt as you put it. Maybe Armour wouldn't have cost a fortune to sign either.
I think Jordan James has just done exactly what he has been asked to do which isn't a fault or failing of his and in essence it reflects on how a solid job he has being doing or he wouldn't be selected.
You mentioned that Dudson is immaterial in relation to James but I don't see it that way. Dudson just doesn't seem interested, is falling off tackles and generally not putting in the effort deserved of a first team selection, whereas with James its quite the opposite.
As long as Jordan James puts the effort in and doesn't let the side down I cant say I am too unhappy about him being in the squad.