Carney will not be leaving

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
proud_pie_eater

Carney will not be leaving

Post by proud_pie_eater »

Although all Brian Carney wants to do at the end of the season is leave and go to Oz, Mo isnt going to let him, yet. He has told Brian that he has to honour his contract until the end of 2006 and he will not be selling him to an Australian club. I think its slightly unfair to the poor lad because thats all he wants to do, but I also think its a stupid idea of Mo's, if Brian isnt enjoyimg his time at Wigan anymore and he wants to be somewhere else he wont play well (when hes fit to be on the field that is) and he wont half be as good as he can be. He will loose the ambition and pride that he has once had for Wigan and, as anyone would, he will try to get back at Lindsey for not letting him leave. Although I do think its a bit harsh to say that because if he loves playing rugby, he will always strive to play his best, there are loads of different senarios!
What do you all think?
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
mike binder

Re: Carney will not be leaving

Post by mike binder »

:angry: hell be gone end of season needs to prove is fitness b 4 aussies come in hope he stays but cant c it
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Carney will not be lea...

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He seems bound to go to me. What would be lovely would be to have some good performances from him in the meantime.
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

has carney actually come out with the phrase he wants to go? Until this time I cant really see it happening.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
El Rifle

Post by El Rifle »

I reckon if Carney comes back and plays till the end of the season we should keep him....but if he gets himself injured again probably best to sell him. He may be world class but if hes not fit and he has a big salary he's really not worth it is he?? Saying that he would have to be replaced properly which doesnt seem to happen these days...although ive just had a thought - couldnt Colborn take his place freeing up cash for a Nigel Vagana, or a gasnier. Is Colborn good enough?
GazzL82

Post by GazzL82 »

have thought 4a while he's not dennis' type of player with sitting out most of last season then going to play in the tri-nations & getting injured again.

think if we're gonna offload him it HAS to be to Oz there's no way we wanna be facing him a couple of times every year! personally i'd be sad to see him go because he is one of the true world-class players we've got & it'd take a hell of a lot to replace him esp with all the other holes we've got!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He would be hard to replace, but he's no use to us injured, and there's no point having a good winger if your pack gets stuffed every week - it's forwards we need.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Carney hasnt hidden the fact he wants to go to aus, but he also said he would honour his contract at wigan. I think its inevitable hes going just when is he going that is the issue, souths want him for next year but brian said he'd honour is contract with us but as faz showed, if the price is right.......goodbye
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

proud_pie_eater posted:
Although all Brian Carney wants to do at the end of the season is leave and go to Oz, Mo isnt going to let him, yet. He has told Brian that he has to honour his contract until the end of 2006 and he will not be selling him to an Australian club. I think its slightly unfair to the poor lad because thats all he wants to do, but I also think its a stupid idea of Mo's, if Brian isnt enjoyimg his time at Wigan anymore and he wants to be somewhere else he wont play well (when hes fit to be on the field that is) and he wont half be as good as he can be.
Sorry but I just can't believe I am reading this.

RL is now a professional game and the Bosman ruling has set the scene for how players are employed by clubs.

What this means is clubs sign players on contracts, which the player enters into freely and at the end of the contract the player is free agent.

The free agent status came about because of the Bosman ruling and is to the players advantage.

While they are under contract they are well paid expected to honour it. That is their part of the deal.

Mo is quite right on this and as to Carney being unhappy he hasn't shown any signs of it when on TV.
He will loose the ambition and pride that he has once had for Wigan and, as anyone would, he will try to get back at Lindsey for not letting him leave.
As anyoine would? Why do you assume he would be as petty as that? Like I said before RL is professional now and it doesn't just means players are full time. It means they have to do the best for their clubs. Any player who was seen to be swinging the lead or with an attitude problem would find it hard to attract another clubs interest.

Canrey's best option is to do his best for Wigan so when his contract is up in 2006 he either gets another deal here (if he wants it) or can get one somewhere else. If he is too old for the NRL by then well he should not have signed a contract with Wigan in the first place if that is what he wants now. He knew when he signed it how old he'd be when he left.
Although I do think its a bit harsh to say that because if he loves playing rugby, he will always strive to play his best, there are loads of different senarios!
Exactly. He does not come across as not trying or not having passion for the club.

As to those who said we should cash in, what for? If he remains the player he is now we get his services for the duration of his contract. If he has lost something by next season then no one will buy him anyway and in any case, according to Mo, we didn't need the money when we sold Farrell and would rather have kept the player. The same applies here and I only wish Mo had been as keen on enforcing Farrell's contract as he seems to be Carney's.

Dave
The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

Brian has been an excellent player for Wigan when he's fit. I feel however, that the injuries he picks up are almost recurrent old injuries that pile up and this worries me. I hate to say this as i have the up most respect for his ability and believe that he brings alot more than his rugby ability to the team but in the current climate of salary caps we can't afford to pay a player who is going to sit in the stands. Hope you get fit and don't leave Brian but if he does good luck.
Pain is temporary pride is forever