1st visit to dw

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
llanelli scarlet warrior

1st visit to dw

Post by llanelli scarlet warrior »

hi all,martin here from deepest west wales!!I am looking for some advice please.my son loves the warriors,and me and the wife are thinking of taking him to watch the challenge cup quarter final against Castleford.went to watch wigan in the millennium magic weekend a few yrs back,but have never been to the dw to watch wigan,mainly due to work commitments.i'd like to have some feedback and advice on where would be the best part of the stadium to get tickets for,and are there any travel lodges/premier inns near the stadium we could stay,or and by the way,the best pubs to go to pre and post match for some atmos and banter!!!!!.also,does the dw stadium do tours at all.cheers all.
Kittwazzer

Re: 1st visit to dw

Post by Kittwazzer »

llanelli scarlet warrior wrote:hi all,martin here from deepest west wales!!I am looking for some advice please.my son loves the warriors,and me and the wife are thinking of taking him to watch the challenge cup quarter final against Castleford.went to watch wigan in the millennium magic weekend a few yrs back,but have never been to the dw to watch wigan,mainly due to work commitments.i'd like to have some feedback and advice on where would be the best part of the stadium to get tickets for,and are there any travel lodges/premier inns near the stadium we could stay,or and by the way,the best pubs to go to pre and post match for some atmos and banter!!!!!.also,does the dw stadium do tours at all.cheers all.
Hi Martin. If I was recommending accomodation for a reasonable price, it would be The Mount at Orrell. Its right by Junction 26 off the M6 and I believe its a Premier Inn and the food is excellent. Its about 2 miles from the stadium but every bus which goes past is Wigan bound and will take you close to the DW.

The most popular pre match pub is The Red Robin, right next to the stadium. Traditionally, its the destination of away fans so there'll be no shortage of banter! That said, I'm not keen on plastic glasses so if you prefer a proper pint, I'd suggest The Prince of Wales which will also have a rugby crowd in. When you get off the bus, ask anyone to direct you to 'The Jawbone' as very few Wiganers know its correct name! :lol:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Martin,

May I recommend the Brocket Hotel(Weatherspoons)which is reasonable for accommodation, food and drink. and by the time the match is played, the new Premier Inn near the town centre may be open and they may even have opening special offers on accommodation.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The stadium does do tours but you would have to ring up to find out when the next one is. I'll try and find out who you need to contact.

I would either sit in the South stand or the East.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Loads of premier inn's in wigan. one off J25 M6 at Marus Bridge with the Ben Johnson just across the road (great rugby pub) and a quick 10 min bus ride to the DW :)
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

For Stadium tours contact Amanda Wilkinson a.wilkinson@wiganwarriors.com

I thought it was Amanda, but just had to double check.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

Kittwazzer wrote:
llanelli scarlet warrior wrote:hi all,martin here from deepest west wales!!I am looking for some advice please.my son loves the warriors,and me and the wife are thinking of taking him to watch the challenge cup quarter final against Castleford.went to watch wigan in the millennium magic weekend a few yrs back,but have never been to the dw to watch wigan,mainly due to work commitments.i'd like to have some feedback and advice on where would be the best part of the stadium to get tickets for,and are there any travel lodges/premier inns near the stadium we could stay,or and by the way,the best pubs to go to pre and post match for some atmos and banter!!!!!.also,does the dw stadium do tours at all.cheers all.
Hi Martin. If I was recommending accomodation for a reasonable price, it would be The Mount at Orrell. Its right by Junction 26 off the M6 and I believe its a Premier Inn and the food is excellent. Its about 2 miles from the stadium but every bus which goes past is Wigan bound and will take you close to the DW.

The most popular pre match pub is The Red Robin, right next to the stadium. Traditionally, its the destination of away fans so there'll be no shortage of banter! That said, I'm not keen on plastic glasses so if you prefer a proper pint, I'd suggest The Prince of Wales which will also have a rugby crowd in. When you get off the bus, ask anyone to direct you to 'The Jawbone' as very few Wiganers know its correct name! :lol:
Seconded.

donny

Post by donny »

Hy Martin
If you PM me at stanholcroft@hotmail.com with your address I will send you a genuine Wigan Blazer badge from the 85 cup final v Hull sorry the blazer went years ago.
Best wishes Stan
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

If you are taking your son go to the west stand, that way he can get autographs and stuff from the players,
llanelli scarlet warrior

Post by llanelli scarlet warrior »

cheers everyone for replies, when do tickets go on sale for the game ??