Gelling has a big future after super run of form

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Gelling has a big future after super run of form

Post by josie andrews »

ANTHONY Gelling’s form is fast cementing him a future at the club – just weeks after his Wigan career appeared uncertain.

The 23-year-old figured just once in the opening two-and-a-half months of the campaign

– a cameo in a weakened side that beat Wakefield a week after the World Club Challenge.

For the other 10 games, he watched from the sidelines in frustration –and even played one game dual-registration for Championship outfit Workington, as speculation simmered that Salford and Wakefield were interested in recruiting him.

But a season-ending injury to Iain Thornley on Good Friday created an opening in Shaun Wane’s team – and Gelling has not looked back.

He has played in the last six matches, scoring five tries in the process and been one of the Warriors’ most consistent performers.

Out of contract at the end of the season, it’s understood both parties are keen to extend his stay.

Wane sees Gelling’s future at Wigan and has praised the way he has grabbed his chance during their recent injury crisis.

He said: “I’m very pleased with Gells, I hope his future’s here.

“He had to wait for his chance, but he worked hard and when it came, he took it.

“Gells is really happy here and we’re happy with him.

“He’s bought into our system and he’s well liked in the group.”

Able to play wing, centre or second-row, Gelling is expected to hold down a position in the team as injured players filter back in the next two weeks.

His career-best form has been particularly pleasing for Wane, who took a chance on him by signing him from part-time outfit Auckland Vulcans ahead of the 2011 campaign.

Gelling, a former Sydney Roosters junior, was working as a labourer at the time.

“If you look back to when he signed, we said at the time, ‘It doesn’t matter if it takes a year or two years, he’s a long-term prospect’,” said Wane.

“He was very young when he came to us, but we saw something in him. It’s satisfying for me because we’ve seen him grow and develop, and that’s why I love coaching.”

Gelling was Wigan’s only overseas player in their most recent win, a gutsy 25-4 victory at Salford last Thursday.

The defending champions remain fourth in the ladder, level with Castleford and two points clear of Huddersfield.

But they can wedge open a four-point gap between themselves and the Giants if they beat them on Thursday night.

Wigan’s Under-19s host Bradford tonight, kick-off at Orrell is 6.30pm.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-6638464
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Re: Gelling has a big future after super run of form

Post by BriH »

I've been very impressed by him in recent marches. Good to watch.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Will be a better Center than Goulding could ever dream of being :exc:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Meds, is Goulding your new Lockers by any chance? :wink:
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote:Meds, is Goulding your new Lockers by any chance? :wink:
Looks like it Josie, though nobody could replace my love for Lockers :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote:
It took a while but I converted you :) :lol:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:
medlocke wrote:
It took a while but I converted you :) :lol:
Perhaps you could also educate him on Centres.
markill

Post by markill »

Gelling is averaging something like 160m per game this year, including a 200m+ game at Leeds. He did similar when he had a good run of games in July/August last year.

He is certainly impressing and given a run in the side his reading of the game and the players he plays with appears to be improving too, taking some of the rash/poor decisions out of his game.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

And then a big game comes along, he is moved to the other side (to incorporate Sarge?) and as the game progressed you knew the ball was going to die with him every time he got the ball even when an overlap had been created. The one pass he did give Manfredi was after he had dummied and sent the defence wide, he then gave the hospital pass. IMO he is not a wingers centre, too often he misses the pass selection or he runs into the wingers space. He has been better on the left inside Budgie and he does make big metres but for me all too often the end result is him dying with the ball.

Just to be clear I am not saying he was at fault for the defeat, that IMO was down to a total lack of synergy, energy or spark from minute one for virtually the whole team. What I am left wondering is were there players on that park who shouldn't have been there and more importantly how many players were elsewhere who should have been playing. Only SW will know, but as he always says "I put out a team that should have been capable of winning".
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
GBH

Post by GBH »

mickw wrote:Not good enough pure and simple been here for three years and still a liability.
How many players been afforded that amount of time.
Not good enough im not sure what you watched but he was one of a small number players in the Wigan team that looked like he wanted to win and put the effort in. He makes yards and draws in opposition players.
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots