Wigan v Hull

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Wigan v Hull

Post by DaveO »

Well it's half time and Wigan lead 22-4 but I doubt Wane will be very happy.

After Matty Bowen special from Tierney some woeful defence from Josh it was 4-4 and it remained like that for about 20 mins with some error strewn and lethargic play from us.

Williams got is going and we ended the half with an excellent try for Smith from another Williams (I think) break.

It still looks like a game being in slow motion though.
BriH

Re: Wigan v Hull

Post by BriH »

The guys on Wish FM are saying it's been "been baking hot" in Wigan today.
40C here in Germany today!
Sizzling score here tonight - eventually.
Wigan 50+ now and...........Widnes beating Wire? 24-10 at the moment.
Hull have just scored their 2nd try.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

56-10, I don't think Wane is going to be too unhappy.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We are top of the league! Come on London!
With all the injuries we have had and the Sydney trip that's some effort.
Meanwhile Matty Russell showed that we won't miss him.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Ease to Hull Victory

Result from D.W. Stadium - 8:00pm kick off

Wigan Warriors 56
T - Tierney, Charnley, Williams 3, Smith, Powell, Manfredi 2, Taylor
G - Smith 8/10

Hull F.C. 10
T - Talanoa, Watts
G - Rankin 1/2

H/T: 22-4

Wigan Warriors scored Ten tries in a ruthless 56-10 rout of Hull F.C. to ensure they moved joint top of the First Utility Super League table. The Cherry and Whites dominated Hull in all departments and especially up front in what was a fantastic performance from Shaun Wane's side in front of the 12,493 crowd at the DW Stadium.

The demolition started in the 4th minute as Lewis Tierney ran in the first try in spectacular fashion as he gathered the kick from Hull and broke the line to run virtually the length of the field to give the Warriors the lead, Matty Smith was unable to add the extras so the score stayed at 4-0.

Hull F.C. Equalised minutes later with Fatuli Talanoa touching down a neat grubber kick from youngster Jordan Abdull, with Jordan Rankin also unsuccessful with the conversion to leave the score at 4-4.

Hull now started to threaten and the Warriors had to defend a couple of sets with one on their own line, but regained possession thus stopping the momentum with a neat dropout that bounced out of play. Wigan were guilty of being their own worst enemies during the first quarter as they had a total of three sets in Hull territory but did not complete any of their six tackles.

The Warriors started to improve with fifteen minutes to half time as a good kick from Sam Powell ensured Wigan forced a goal line drop out, with Josh Charnley barging his way through two tackles to dive in at the corner from the resulting set, the winger going in for his Twelfth try in his last six games, Matty Smith brilliantly converted from the touchline to give the Warriors a 10-4 lead.

The Cherry and Whites extended their lead five minutes later as George Williams dummied from acting half and powered over close to the line, with Smith again adding the extras to make the score 16-4 to the Warriors.

Wigan showed their class with a great try three minutes from half time, as Williams broke through the Hull line and offloaded to Captain O'Loughlin who brilliantly threw the ball to Matty Smith to score under the posts, he was also on hand to convert and extend Wigan's lead to 22-4.

The second half restarted with Wigan showing their forward superiority and it took Seven minutes to register their next try with George Williams going over for his second try of the evening with Matty Smith once again converting to make it 28-4 to the Warriors.

Hull looked certain to score with Twenty-five minutes remaining as good offloading meant they were over the Wigan try line but great defence by Josh Charnley forced a knock on from Jordan Abdull to prevent the four pointer. The Warriors were soon up the other end of the field and they extended their lead with Sam Powell dummying and running past two would be tacklers to score in the 58th minute, with Smith yet again adding the extras to make the score 34-4.

The Cherry and Whites were rampant now and scored once more in the 61st minute with George Williams racing in under the posts after collecting a Smith kick ahead after a Hull knock on, Smith making no mistake with the conversion to make it 40-4.

Wigan were in total command and Dom Manfredi ensured the Warriors were the first side to score over Seven hundred points in the First Utility Super League this season, as he touched down in the corner following great passing play from the Cherry and Whites, Smith imperious again with the boot to add another two and make the score 46-4.

Warriors winger Manfredi was celebrating again minutes later as the Warriors played the wrap around move involving Liam Farrell to perfection, Smith was unable to convert on this occasion to leave the score at 50-4.

The visitors gained a consolation try in the 72nd minute as a fifty metre move down the left hand side ensured Liam Watts raced away to score, Jordan Rankin kicked the conversion to bring the score to 50-10. However Wigan finished the game with a flourish as forward Scott Taylor capped off a great performance with a try as he barged through numerous defenders to ground the ball under the posts, Matty Smith kicked the conversion as the hooter sounded to finish the score at 56-10 and send the home crowd home happy.

Wigan Warriors have therefore scored over one hundred and fifty points in the last three fixtures to put a marker down to the rest of the First Utility Super League.

Wigan Warriors - 34.Lewis Tierney, 2. Josh Charnley, 5. Anthony Gelling, 23. Dan Sarginson, 31. Dominic Manfredi, 27. George Williams, 7. Matthew Smith, 24. Tony Clubb 19. Sam Powell, 10. Ben Flower, 14. Jack Hughes, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O'Loughlin (C)
Replacements - 8. Scott Taylor, 20. Greg Burke, 25. John Bateman, 28. Jordan James

Hull F.C. - 20.Jamie Shaul, 5. Tom Lineham, 14. Richard Whiting, 38. Jack Logan, 34. Fetuli Talanoa, 37. Jordan Abdull, 32. Jordan Rankin, 22. Josh Bowden 9. Danny Houghton (C), 10. Chris Green, 13. Joe Westerman, 21. Dean Hadley, 17. Liam Watts
Replacements - 24. James Cunningham, 8. Mickey Paea, 26. Feka Paleaaesina, 16. Jordan Thompson

Referee - R Silverwood

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 9QuQiIl.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

yokozuna wrote:56-10, I don't think Wane is going to be too unhappy.
He was. Listened to his interview on the way out of the ground on GMR and he thought we were scrappy and not clinical enough.

Which is exactly right.

We scored some good tries and Williams played a great game and deservedly won MoM but I can see exactly where Wane was coming from with his comments.

If anyone who didn't get to the game has Wigan TV watch Scott Taylor's try at the end when the highlights go up. He must have dragged half the Hull team over the line with him!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Points Tally Pleases Wane

Wigan Warriors Coach Shaun Wane was happy with the 56-10 victory over Hull FC at the DW Stadium this evening as his side went top of the First Utility Super League table.

Wane said, "I was fairly happy, but not ecstatic as our start was a bit slow, we lacked a bit of energy but to score 56 points with people forgetting that we have nine players out and three quarters of our salary cap sat in the stand, shows that the players coming in are doing a great job.

"To be top of the competition, I am very happy with the spread of my squad, and to be in this position having nine players out injured is a credit to our system."

On whether the Warriors can stay top of the pile in the First Utility Super League Wane commented, "Yes we can as we are drip feeding the injured players back, so we are in good shape and I don't think we are playing that well at the moment, but once we get some of the players back it will give us more confidence".

"Scott Taylor was good, but I thought Liam Farrell was the one for me tonight, as well as John Bateman who did well off the bench. George Williams took his tries well too."

On George Williams, who bagged a hat trick, Wane went on to say, "He is an outstanding talent, not only him but Sam Powell who are staying here and both Wigan lads with Greeny back soon too so we are in good shape".

On the injury front Wane said some of the absentees could be back for the Bulls fixture stating, "Dom Crosby and Darrell Goulding could be back for Bradford, there could be a couple more but I'm not sure yet, we will go there really confident".

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... Octq4x6.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

On injuries, I wonder who the other 2 could be. I assume that Eddie, Mac, Budgie and Thornley are some way away - could Green and Bowen be back?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:On injuries, I wonder who the other 2 could be. I assume that Eddie, Mac, Budgie and Thornley are some way away - could Green and Bowen be back?
Bowen quite likely I would have thought as no rumours he's got a serious injury. Green would be good but after William display he'd be justifiably gutted to miss out.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:We are top of the league! Come on London!
With all the injuries we have had and the Sydney trip that's some effort.
Meanwhile Matty Russell showed that we won't miss him.
I've never thought Russel was good enough to be a wigan fullback either EW.